2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Which smart phone do you use?

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to get a poll running here to see the count of different smartphone platforms being used with our Mazda's Navi's

can you also respond with what functions work with your particular phone.

text notification?
text reply function?
email notification function?

And firmware version of your Nav and phone?
thanks!

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
XT912 with 4.1.2, Rooted and custom ROM
Text function works fine
E-mail notification works but does not read.
Slacker / and music on phone works flawless (unlike the Ipod interface)

Car: 13' Speed3 with Tech pkg

Minor bugs:
BT is a little slow

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iOS7.1
text message notification works
reads and it displays even in korean
no text reply feature

no email notification

pandora and iphone playlist works great.
(always need to give "allow access" to pandora though at startup)

tethering to iPhone works well

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
It's always advisable to give a new os some decent time to get familiar with. As long as you know what you want to achieve, you can figure out the best way to get there.

There are many factors to cover as well, besides the os itself. Some have 'overlays' like HTC & sence, or Samsung & Touchwiz. Many Android users don't like one or the other, but not many bother to find out that you can easily replace the launcher with something much better, and many are better than what the OEM's provide, and are bloat free.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
I'd certainly give it a month or so before making that decision. The learning curve is steep but often worth it (but not for everyone -- obviously many, many prefer iOS).
I've been on it about a month now. I certainly like it more than when I first started, but it is still not working as I want it to. Not to turn this into an android/iOS debate, but I see the advantages of both sides and why people prefer one over the other.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been on it about a month now. I certainly like it more than when I first started, but it is still not working as I want it to. Not to turn this into an android/iOS debate, but I see the advantages of both sides and why people prefer one over the other.
Nah, I'd never debate that, I totally think it's personal preference. I just worry when people make decisions based on not enough evidence. Sounds like you gave it a fair shake.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
I will say that the Bluetooth interacts better with the android than iOS. I get track info and it responds a little quicker with the nexus 5. The odd thing is that with my iPhone, I got track info and instant response in my wife's sienna, but not the Mazda. So its something with Mazda's unit that doesn't quite nice well with iOS.

·
Registered
352 Posts
for those with non iOS phones...
does the text reply function and email notification function work?
If so what phone and firmware version are you on?

thx
Galaxy S3 for now.

Text Reply works as well as Mazda intended-- I don't agree with the system alerting you to a text but not letting you read it until the vehicle stops... but it works as intended.

I don't have unified mailbox on my phone (don't want it) and don't have e-mail alerts going through the Mazda system.

So far have tried firmware 20 and 27.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

thx
Text works. Email works. Android 4.1 and v25. It won't work if the car is moving. I can even get it to read the email to me.

·
Registered
269 Posts

thx
WP8 Black.

The on screen text/email integration doesn't work.

Text messaging gets handed to the phone's own voice recognition features. So read and reply to text works perfectly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WP8 Black.

The on screen text/email integration doesn't work.

Text messaging gets handed to the phone's own voice recognition features. So read and reply to text works perfectly.

so basically you have no screen interaction with your navi when the phone is connected?

·
Registered
269 Posts
so basically you have no screen interaction with your navi when the phone is connected?
I can see call history, contacts, call people etc from the ITS.
Email, text menus are greyed out.

I don't care about initiating a text message from the ITS, just listening and replying to incoming texts while driving. The best part is while other people complain about the speech to text in the 2014 3, I don't have a problem as it is handled by the phone.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
This poll data (although inconclusive) lines up with stereotypical media views almost comically, and based on post history in the last 6 months does add to the validity of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have a work-issued iPhone 5 now using 7.1. Infotainment is v 27. In a little over a month and 2k miles, had one failure to boot the nav system, no crashes to speak of.

I do get a sound for text notification, but that's all. I haven't gotten any other text or email integration to work, but I don't really care.

I must be the only person who misses the Blackberry, but I do. It was a better fit for my uses, except for the camera. I liked the keyboard and do not really use phones for multimedia.

Mazda phone integration seems a little behind, but since it's updatable there is still hope. On the other hand, my iPhone is never gonna corner or go 0-60 for beans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WP8 Black Update- Lumia 920

Because of group messaging I have enabled the 'Drive Mode' to ignore texts so that it won't cut out my music every 45 seconds of driving. I do let calls come through and from what I've been told my audio output is fine. (This actually might be making me a safer driver, I used to always text and drive. Better to live in ignorance of the communications and enjoy the drive!)

Bluetooth music is buggy semi-frequently. Will only play one song from a subfolder. I've seen others have had this happen. I use USB audio, but it'd be nice to get a song onto my phone on the fly and play over the speakers (IE: I just wanna get this song outta my head!!)

Mazda3 STouring; Version25 ITS - Upgrading at 1st oil change from Dealer (too far away for me to justify only getting the update when things are fine as is)

1 - 20 of 252 Posts