2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got car fever and really want to get 2014 Mazda3.

I am very fuel conscience, but like the looks of the Mazda3 S Touring.

Should I get a Mazda3 i Touring with tech package and upgrade the (really too small) 16" alloys from Tirerack.com or get a Mazda 3s???

Noticed the Mazda3 i has plastic grill (rather than painted) and a speedometer rather than tachometer.

Really don't care for the heads up display on the S either.

Really torn here, what would you all do.

BTW, I own a Mazda 3 GT 5-door and getting around 26mpg....really need to get better than that for my commute, even considered a VW Golf TDI until I realized how bad VW dealerships suck!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I'd just wait it out for the Mazda Diesel, it has been confirmed for the US and should be coming out early 14'. You won't regret waiting when you're getting 50+MPG

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I question the difference in gas price. Regular here is 3.25. Diesel is 3.99. Would the difference in miles per gallon really make it cheaper.

I drove the 2014 2.0. It's got plenty of go for daily driving. And it will be the best with mileage right now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't tell you to go with the S model because it doesn't come with the correct transmission and for $25K+ the performance is disappointing. So 2.0L it is! Slightly better on gas too.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got to replace those 16" wheels on the 2.0 - why they didn't use 17's"????

Would 17" or 18" kill the mpgs? Look strange with smaller brake disk?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd just wait it out for the Mazda Diesel, it has been confirmed for the US and should be coming out early 14'. You won't regret waiting when you're getting 50+MPG
I'm nursing my current car in hopes of the 6 diesel, but also heavily debating on the 3 hatch.

Has there been any indication on the price of the Diesel yet? The two diesel options for us in the US right now are only offered in upgraded trims. If VW or Chevy had a base model with a Diesel engine rather then make me buy leather and options I don't care for, I'd would have already bought one. Hoping Mazda does not follow the same route.

As far as the difference in price, I think it's all up to how many miles you put on in a year. I commute to work 60 miles one way, so I would save on gas. Problem is, I feel the higher price of the car offsets the savings when you can get a 3 hatch that's rated at 40 mpg and $19k base price.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I question the difference in gas price. Regular here is 3.25. Diesel is 3.99. Would the difference in miles per gallon really make it cheaper.

I drove the 2014 2.0. It's got plenty of go for daily driving. And it will be the best with mileage right now.
Okay so here is the fuel estimate breakdown:

(current) 2011 Mazda3 GT 5-DR 2.5l - 25mpg average (80% highway)

2014 Mazda3 i - 32mpg average

2014 VW Golf TDI Diesel - 40mpg average

Regular fuel: $3.12/gal (current)

Diesel fuel: $3.89/gal (current)

Monthly cost:
2011 Mazda3 2.5: 150.00
2014 Mazda3 2.0: 117.00
2014 VW Golf TDI: 116.00

Plus, factor in VW Reliability and dealership/service center antics.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to realize average fuel economy of a VW Golf is 42mpg....compared to 2.0 Mazda 3 at probably 32-34, not sure how accurate Mazda's real-world numbers on their gasoline engine..

Right now with gas so low its hard to compare...better during the summer when gas and diesel are 20 cents apart.

Maintance on a diesel is a pain, reliability and service is questionable, but insurance and depreciation is better.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I just can't see a diesel being worth it yet. The higher cost if diesel makes the better mileage a push. Diesel stays about 4 dollars a gallon here all year. If gas prices come back up which they will then it would be a better value.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just can't see a diesel being worth it yet. The higher cost if diesel makes the better mileage a push. Diesel stays about 4 dollars a gallon here all year. If gas prices come back up which they will then it would be a better value.

Not to derail the thread any more, but I'm in the middle of this debate with myself as well. It's not apples to apples because VW Golf/Jetta TDI have so many more options then a base iSport, but the price gap is just so far away that the Mazda makes more sense. I'm sure the 6 will follow along that same path.

Once you start moving up the M3 chain though, it's more of a even comparison. An itouring with tech package and you start to break even. Move on to the S's and with a long commute the Diesels make more sense. For me at least.

And back on topic: I think I want the iTour as well. I'm usually a base model guy, so the splurge not to have steelies with covers and a little more fancy inside is sounding appealing. The tech package would be awesome too, but I may just be too cheap to go that far :tongue:

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car and Driver recommended the iTouring over the other other models (including s models).

I've driven both and couldn't tell much of a difference, except low-end grunt from the extra torque.

I also priced 18" wheels and summer tires (slap winter tires on the OEM 16's) for $1,100.00

i feel the Golf is overpriced, honestly - I just have emotions wrapped up in VW's clean design that ages well....however, their dealerships and service departments leave a heck of a lot to be desired.

Mazda3 i Grand Touring with 18" Alloys is what I am leaning toward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts