2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I just picked up my first MZ3, a 2010 S hatchback and I love it :)

Second, I apologize if I should have posted in an existing thread; I've read through what I could find and I didn't find an answer.

The three Class I hitch models that fit the 3 hatchback (Curt 11383, Hidden Hitch 60259, and Draw-Tite 24843) are about the same price ($115-130 on Amazon), so there's no big difference there. The difference is in how the Curt and Hidden/Draw-Tite attach. The Curt has 6 bolts, all of which are on the frame, while Hidden and Draw-Tite use 4 bolts, 2 on the frame and 2 on the tow hooks.

Which is better? The consensus seems to be that, despite the Class I ratings, you really shouldn't exceed 150lbs on the tongue and 1000lbs when towing. If you're using a receiver adapter (1-1/4" to 2") or extension, you cut the tongue weight limit in half.

Like most of the others who have put hitches on their MZ3s, I'm mostly interested in using a bike rack and a cargo rack, not really towing, so I'm more concerned with which is better regarding tongue weight. Maybe there's no difference.

So, does anyone here who has installed any of the hitches have any suggestions? Issues you've had? I think the Curt is overall a better hitch, but it has less ground clearance and I'm concerned about rattling from the exhaust hitting the bracket.

Image of Curt attachment: http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/1/1/11383_2010~Mazda~3_2_1000.jpg

Image of Hidden/Draw-Tite attachment: http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/2/4/24843_2010~Mazda~3_5_1000.jpg

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have the curt hitch and it works fine for me. I only use it for a 2 bike carrier with usually only one bike on there without a problem.

I'm also lowered on RM 1.75 and I have scraped it a couple times but its only been on steep driveways and with me forgetting that it was hanging back there. Being careful and driving like I should I never scrape

I did have a problem with my exhaust hanger rattling against it but I have a custom exhaust that was put in before I put on the hitch so idk if this would be a problem on a factory setup. Either way its nothing that a grinder and a little bit of time can't fix

1 - 2 of 2 Posts