2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have got a 2003 Mazda3 with automatic climate control. (but I think it's irrelevant in this question)
I would like to change the factory CD head unit to an Android one.

Main criterias for myself:
- ability to run Spotify
- trusty GPS hardvare (I think then I could use any kind of Android compatible GPS apps, like Igo, Sygic, Waze, etc.)
- how internet is going to be available in this ANdroid head units? I could simply use my phone as a hot spot, then the head unit would have a built in wifi antenne, so the internet would be available then?)
- Also would like to use the Mazda's steering wheel's audio controls...

Thanks!

·
zoom freakin' zoom
618 Posts
I installed the JVC KW830BT in our 2008 w/auto climate controls last weekend.

CarPlay and Android Auto compatible so it will work with Spotify and Im sure any nav program. I use Google maps so havent tried the others with it.

Got a good deal on it, $299.99 from Crutchfield and another $75 for the dash kit SWC module.

Earlier today I cleaned up the install by routing the USB cables through the center console and out of the cupholder. The foam is temporary, will figure out something to keep the wires from falling in the hole.

Edit - found some rubber and cut it to fit, then notched it for the cables to come through.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
im guessing you mean you have an 04 mazda 3, as that was the first model year

im a professional car electronics installer. there are really 3 tiers of in dash screens,

the basic dvd players, they arent much more than a standard radio with a screen and dvd player vs cd player. they typically run around $300 for a name brand.

the full on built in navigation systems with all the bells and whisltles, they have maps built in and work completely without your phone, but you have to update the maps every year or two. these typically range from $800- $1200 kenwoods like this use garmin software, so some find them familiar. but pioneer is another good choice. JVC and kenwood merged not too long ago so JVC is also a good choice (not that they were horrible before the merger) alpine is good, but tends to be a little overpriced. stay away from sony.

there there are the in between ones, they dont have navigation built into them, but can use your phone to display navigation on the screen of the radio. its as integrated as a full blown nav, but a little cheaper, around $500-$600. advantage is you dont have to update the maps, disadvantage is you have to have a data signal on your phone to navigate anywhere. these typically are using either apple carplay, or android auto. allthough pioneer has something called app radio mode which is pretty sweet too.

now we come to the red headed step child, which i think is what you are getting at. the white box, no brand name cheap chinese junk android radios. not just "compatible" with android, actually running android. these things are like a tablet with a 4 channel amp and AM/FM tuner built in to them.

now being a pro installer i cant help but want to turn my nose up at these things, they are all on par with flea market junk, but i have to admit the features the pack in them makes them awesome. feature wise none of the name brands come close. and they typically have everything, built in nav, and if you get one thats specific to a certain car, they are plug and play and have canbus connections to get readouts from your cars databus for gauges and check engine lights and whatnot. and to boot, they usually are in the $200-$300 range.

im currently looking at an EONON model for my 08 3.

cant post links yet, just search "mazda 3 android radio" on amazon, its the Eonon GA8151

i hate to love this thing, but i have installed a few in other cars. they look like factory equipment at first glance, and most of them have the google play store so you can install just about any app to them.

my peers have mostly mocked them, and me for wanting one, and keep in mind, you get what you pay for. but im still leaning toward this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
of course i wrote that wonderfully long review and i didnt directly answer your questions, :grin2:

the one in particular i linked, or something similar thats specific to that body style mazda 3, is usually plug and play, and already wired up for the steering wheel controls to work.

its android so you should be able to install spotify directly on it.

its going to have gps built in like most cell phones or tablets do, so any app like waze or igo would work.

and it has wifi just like a tablet so if your phone supports tethering you can get it connected to the internet that way. some of them support usb hotspots, but most people dont want to pay an additional monthly fee for their "cars" internet plan, so just tether it, and be mindful of what the headunit is downloading so you dont blow all your data.

they are really open source-ish and customizable like an android phone, they arent for little old ladys, but tech heads like us love them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts