2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 Mazda 3 GT and I'm at 65k miles and my brakes have been squeaking and grinding over the past week so it's time to get them replaced. I've had all of my oil changes and tire rotations done at the Mazda dealership where I got my car. I am planning on going there to get my brakes replaced this week, but just wanted to check to see if anyone has any idea of the cost and any recommendations for or against the dealership. I could go to Pep Boys or Midas, etc, but wasn't sure about the quality vs value.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Joe

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2014 Mazda 3 GT and I'm at 65k miles and my brakes have been squeaking and grinding over the past week so it's time to get them replaced. I've had all of my oil changes and tire rotations done at the Mazda dealership where I got my car. I am planning on going there to get my brakes replaced this week, but just wanted to check to see if anyone has any idea of the cost and any recommendations for or against the dealership. I could go to Pep Boys or Midas, etc, but wasn't sure about the quality vs value.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Joe
EBC has different pads available. Note that JP & Mex builds will have different part numbers. Bed em properly. You might wanna change the fluid, too, while you're at it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
The OEM brakes are pretty good overall, there is definitely an argument to just replace them with OEM's again. Im still debating my options, its a tough call.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not sure about where you come from, but down under, dealerships (stealerships) sell cars, mechanics service them.

If you want to pay twice the going rate, then go to a dealer. Else find a good local mechanic (not a chain) and they will do as good a job, probably better and you will save some $$

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got a quote of ~$800 for front and rear pads as well as rotors from the dealer.

So I went to my buddy's car shop and he was unable to locate the exact OEM or similar pads for my 2014 Japan build so i ended up buying the pads for ~$250 at the dealer and having him install for $100.

Luckily i replaced the pads in time so i didn't have to replace the rotors this time.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts

So I went to my buddy's car shop and he was unable to locate the exact OEM or similar pads for my 2014 Japan build so i ended up buying the pads for ~$250 at the dealer and having him install for $100.

Luckily i replaced the pads in time so i didn't have to replace the rotors this time.
Mazda OEM pads are metallic - dealers save money/time to replace rotors every time.
$250 front/rear pads and $80 for each rotor. Out of warranty for me - pads only for 1 change.:surprise:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Our Mazda 3s are older (both 2007) so not sure how applicable these prices are compared to the later model years. I had to replace front pads and rotors on both vehicles this year.

2007 2.3L - $221 for OEM front pads and rotors
2007 2.0L - $215 for OEM front pads and rotors (rotors were $61 each, pads were $68 for the pair).

These prices were from oemautopartz, and include $30 for shipping. Even with the shipping the prices were the best I could find at the time.

I find that if you have to change pads, replacing the rotor takes very little extra work. But I would only replace the rotors if needed. And you might as well flush the brake lines too. For flushing do in this order: passenger side rear, drivers side rear, passenger side front, drivers side front. Flushing only cost you the price of 1qt of brake fluid.

Be sure to lube the glide pins or your rotors can wear out very fast from uneven pressure from the caliper.

·
Turbin3_t3ch
4 Posts
OEM vs Aftermarket brake pads/rotors

Hi!

I'm in the same situation and was asked to replace front brake pads and rotors in my last maintenance visit to the dealer @50000 miles => they quoted 500$ for that one set (NJ).
I'm assuming I will be quoted around 1000$ for all 4 during the next service visit.. And I'm willing to invest only around 500/600 for all 4..Is that reasonable?

I'd rather go for replacing all 4 pads and rotors at this point, since its been 55000 miles with the stock set from the factory. What would you recommend I buy to replace the OEM pads and rotors?

I've tried to look around these forums for the past hour and couldn't find a post talking about aftermarket brakes for the 2014 SGT sedan.

Appreciate all the help guys!

Cheers! :nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi!

I'm in the same situation and was asked to replace front brake pads and rotors in my last maintenance visit to the dealer @50000 miles => they quoted 500$ for that one set (NJ).
I'm assuming I will be quoted around 1000$ for all 4 during the next service visit.. And I'm willing to invest only around 500/600 for all 4..Is that reasonable?

I'd rather go for replacing all 4 pads and rotors at this point, since its been 55000 miles with the stock set from the factory. What would you recommend I buy to replace the OEM pads and rotors?

I've tried to look around these forums for the past hour and couldn't find a post talking about aftermarket brakes for the 2014 SGT sedan.

Did someone actually measure your rotor thickness and tell you they need to be replaced? Or did you let your brake pads get so low that you had metal-on-metal for a while and ruined your rotors?

55k miles is way too soon to replace rotors. In my experience, rotors get replaced every 2nd pad change. I mean, 100k miles on rotors is not excessive.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Hi!

Cheers! /forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png/forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
Did someone actually measure your rotor thickness and tell you they need to be replaced? Or did you let your brake pads get so low that you had metal-on-metal for a while and ruined your rotors?

55k miles is way too soon to replace rotors. In my experience, rotors get replaced every 2nd pad change. I mean, 100k miles on rotors is not excessive.
Tell that to my warped rotors at only 36,000km. Their not unusable yet, but its definitely an uneven contact patch from pad to rotor, last checkup during my oil change they never said anything either, the check list said my brakes were fine in terms of pad and rotor depth.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi!

If you are not getting any pulsating or strange feel from the rotors/pads you can probably get away with just a pad replacement. ~$500 for all 4 pads with installation would be reasonable since you may have to go for Mazda genuine pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts