2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should I purchased HID kit that will give me great quality and last long? I'm looking at DDM tuning and HID Extra, just can't decide which one to go with. Anyone with previous purchase experience from these two vendors? Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have Morimoto in my CX-5 and its brighter than my oem bi-xenon in my 2014 mazda3. I also have DDM tuning in my foglights for my Mazda3 and so far I'm happy with both.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm assuming you have an sGT by your username? If so, why not upgrade your oem hid bulbs to osram cbi? Those are quite a bit brighter and whiter than the stock hid bulb.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm assuming you have an sGT by your username? If so, why not upgrade your oem hid bulbs to osram cbi? Those are quite a bit brighter and whiter than the stock hid bulb.
damn you lowincash..... I've had these for over a week now and I swear these osram CBI are almost not different at all from the OEM bulbs.

I know I said in the other thread that the beam spread seemed larger based on the pictures, but I just took another picture the other day, and I noticed that the beam pattern was not different because of the bulb, but because of the Lens. With the CBI in the other headlight the spread is the same as the OEM....

I know you said they get brighter and whiter over time, but I have had them on almost all the time that I drive, day OR night, just to break them in, and they have not changed at all.

Of course, I'm not blaming you :stuart: I should have been more conscientious when I purchased these osram CBIs, but the other reviews were so good I figured it was a safe bet.....

Now I realize, a LOT of the reviews were for D2S not D4S bulb size, and you'll notice that the D2S packaging actually says 20% brighter.....

The D4S bulbs only say "UP TO 5000k" on the front, and the bar for brightness is slightly less than the OEM bar in the comparison....

Now... this isn't to complain or anything....

When I judge my bulbs, I am comparing them to the 5000k Morimoto 35 HID bulbs I have installed in my Fog Lights.... Now THOSE are PURE white..... and I had always compared them with the OEM....

Now that I have the CBI's I have compared them as often as I can, and they have not approached the 5000k whiteness, they are almost EXACTLY the same as the OEM color temp....

Now I won't argue brightness, cause I don't have a safe reference.... I honestly think they are about the same as OEM... but can't be sure....

But the Color Temp - is NOT 5000k.... MAYBE 4400k.... MAYBE.... but I don't see much difference at all from what it was at the OEM color temp....

Again... not mad or anything, just wanted share my experience, I think you may be experienceing a Placebo effect, because you THINK they are supposed to be whiter and brighter... when they are in fact... not :sad 1:

And of course, maybe they will get whiter...

but still... I've driven over 400 miles in the last week and a half, with these on almost the whole time.... and I have not noticed much of any difference... :death:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
@Dimes2Dope I don't know what to tell you, mine is clearly more white than the stock bulbs even before it was broken in. I don't think mine are fully broken in yet as they typically take anywhere from 20-30 hours of use before it's broken in, some even report up to 100 hours for them to be fully whitest. Honestly tho, from reading that 200+ pages in that CBI post on hidplanet, quite a few people were disappointed with them at first and thought they weren't worth the upgrade but after some time they became whiter and those guys were more satisfied with them.

I really doubt it's placebo effect here. It's not something like a drop in filter where I think I feel the car is faster, I can actually see the difference with the CBI compared to the OEM bulbs. At night on the freeway, I can clearly see my lights no longer being drowned out by the newer BMW's and Mercdes. With the stock bulbs they would look dim compared to theirs. Perhaps my original bulbs had a lot of hours on them, so their output somewhat degraded over time. Even when the car was brand new I thought the output was dim compared to what I had before. I don't know, but all I can say is that mine are pretty darn white and brighter compared to before lol

Oh yeah, I've had mine for over 2 weeks now and have driven close to 800 miles but only with them on at night tho.

·
Registered
355 Posts
@Dimes2Dope I don't know what to tell you, mine is clearly more white than the stock bulbs even before it was broken in. I don't think mine are fully broken in yet as they typically take anywhere from 20-30 hours of use before it's broken in, some even report up to 100 hours for them to be fully whitest. Honestly tho, from reading that 200+ pages in that CBI post on hidplanet, quite a few people were disappointed with them at first and thought they weren't worth the upgrade but after some time they became whiter and those guys were more satisfied with them.

Oh yeah, I've had mine for over 2 weeks now and have driven close to 800 miles but only with them on at night tho.
Yea Ill keep hoping and see what happens in a month or so.... defly will update if they get better... for now though Im just hoping maybe I can sell my OEM bulbs to someone, cause that 145$ was no joke....

no big deal though, and I read a bit of the thread on HID planet too, but I don't think it was all about the D4S bulb.... I don't know why the socket type would make a difference... but the packaging is labeled differently for each....

Maybe you're OEM bulbs were just bad? I dunno, do you have HID fogs? or 5000k fogs? :death:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yea Ill keep hoping and see what happens in a month or so.... defly will update if they get better... for now though Im just hoping maybe I can sell my OEM bulbs to someone, cause that 145$ was no joke....

no big deal though, and I read a bit of the thread on HID planet too, but I don't think it was all about the D4S bulb.... I don't know why the socket type would make a difference... but the packaging is labeled differently for each....

Maybe you're OEM bulbs were just bad? I dunno, do you have HID fogs? or 5000k fogs? :death:
Totally understand it's a lot of $$$ for bulbs alone. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for that 20% discount code lol I just couldn't swallow spending $185 on the bulbs but I always go for OEM stuffs even when I had my retrofitted headlights on my previous cars. I actually sold my stock bulbs for $50 to my friend's brother to use on his lexus. But yeah that thread on hidplanet was mostly for D2S since the D4S barely came out in July. D4S does not have mercury in it but not sure if that affects output or not, doubt it tho. As for fogs, I have the piaa ion yellow halogens and they're really yellow but I don't drive with them on much and didn't compare the color of them to the headlights haha

If I have time this weekend, I'm going to try and get some pics to show them as close to what it looks in person as possible :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts