2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10" long scratch on the lower part of my bumper from scuffing a high curb. I am needing to repair it. I got a quote of $250 to repair with it getting sanded down, filler added to scratch, and repainted. The guy has been doing it for 25 years. However, my husband says that I should not go that route and should only replace my whole bumper. I tried to look online for a new, 2017 FRONT bumper for the Mazda 3, and I am finding nothing. I can find old models or the REAR bumper, but not the front bumper. Am I missing something?

Has anyone else repaired their bumper with the first method mentioned? If you did, was it noticeable, and did it last a long time?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 10" long scratch on the lower part of my bumper from scuffing a high curb. I am needing to repair it. I got a quote of $250 to repair with it getting sanded down, filler added to scratch, and repainted. The guy has been doing it for 25 years. However, my husband says that I should not go that route and should only replace my whole bumper. I tried to look online for a new, 2017 FRONT bumper for the Mazda 3, and I am finding nothing. I can find old models or the REAR bumper, but not the front bumper. Am I missing something?

Has anyone else repaired their bumper with the first method mentioned? If you did, was it noticeable, and did it last a long time?
Me personally i would replace the whole bumper. Ive personally done smaller at home diy fixes with cans but nothing in the 10" range, seems fairly large. u can maybe look at rockauto i get my some of my oem parts from them. i think the guy will sand and blend it back in meaning sanding a lot more area around the scratch and then blend it in with the rest of the paint to match. The clear coat over time depending quality of the clear and on how well u take care of it and many other factor will dictate how long it will last. if he is experienced you wont be able to tell the difference so either option is viable, again it is personal preference and how much you are willing to spend it will cost more to replace it with a paint job plus the part will probably be in the 600 area im guessing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If it is what you say it is the body shop should be able to source it for you if you're going that route. Though it may be a dealer only item with how new the front fascia still is.

That said the bumper is plastic. The quoted repair should be just fine if done right. I imagine a bumper replacement + paint will be much more expensive.

That said, it's nearly impossible to say for certain which route is the most appropriate without photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I would try to upload a picture, but it won't let me. I sent the picture to a few auto repairs, only the one got back to me with the $250. He didn't suggest a new bumper. I set up an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to have them quote me. The scratch is deep enough that it will need filler, but it took maybe 1mm of plastic off. So the scratch isn't that deep, just enough that my nail does catch it when I drag my nail across it.

I'll see if I can get the whole bumper replaced. I know when I called Mazda, they were kind of leaning towards a repair. However, they never saw the photograph. Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm going to try to post a link to the photo, I apologize if it does not work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts