2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is running a little low in coolant. It's at about 67k miles, but I live in an area where it gets pretty humid and hot during the summer. I'm gonna check it later to see why the coolant went low, so that's something on the side.
I was able to find Mazda's genuine FL22 coolant on Amazon, but low and behold, they don't ship that specific item to Hawaii. Why? I have no idea. I read around that Ford's equivalent is the same thing, just relabeled. I did find another brand (Ravenol) that claims to be the same as FL22 coolant, and doesn't have any additives that cause issues with Mazdas.
Anyone have any experience on using a different coolant other than the OEM one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So my car is running a little low in coolant. It's at about 67k miles, but I live in an area where it gets pretty humid and hot during the summer. I'm gonna check it later to see why the coolant went low, so that's something on the side.
I was able to find Mazda's genuine FL22 coolant on Amazon, but low and behold, they don't ship that specific item to Hawaii. Why? I have no idea. I read around that Ford's equivalent is the same thing, just relabeled. I did find another brand (Ravenol) that claims to be the same as FL22 coolant, and doesn't have any additives that cause issues with Mazdas.
Anyone have any experience on using a different coolant other than the OEM one?
Hey man, this might sound crazy but it's true.
I work at Lexus, and as many know Lexus is Toyota. Well my location specifically has both dealerships built into the same one. The new 2017 Yaris is run on our genuine Mazda coolant. So if you go to a toyota dealership you can buy some there.

Best of luck,

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

I'll definitely go check out a Toyota dealership. This is probably gonna be a bad question, but will the label specific it's for Mazdas, or will it say something else that I should be looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's 100% genuine Mazda, Mazda branded. My 04 Mazda 3 took just over two jugs from absolutely bone dry empty. Assuming you are topping up, one 4L jug should suffice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,165 Posts
Hey man, this might sound crazy but it's true.
I work at Lexus, and as many know Lexus is Toyota. Well my location specifically has both dealerships built into the same one. The new 2017 Yaris is run on our genuine Mazda coolant. So if you go to a toyota dealership you can buy some there.
Odd that you work at the dealer and don't know that the Yaris is a rebadged Mazda 2.:dunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LinkinEffect, yeah I'm just gonna be topping it off for now and seeing what goes.

Minsanity, I think it has to do with the size of it. I tried checking with a smaller amount from another brand to see what happens (Ravenol 1.5L) and they'll ship that. So I guess unless they sell smaller amounts of the OEM coolant, I'm out of luck online ;w;

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
auto zone sell pentosin this one is the fl22 one: Pentosin Antifreeze/Coolant-OE 8115205 - Read Reviews on Pentosin #8115205

you can also use regular light green universal coolant if you choose (they mix) like prestone or peak you just have to change them more often (duh, that's the reason for fl22) but that's what the owners manuals state with the fl22 coolant and I did it on my car I mixed fl22 and universal it works just fine. the fl22 change interval is "120,000" miles um yeah coolant in that long even if they say it can is not a car guys thing. the manual states if you use conventional universal coolant the change interval is 3 years or 60k miles.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Seriously, I use something better. It got rid of a few flat spots on my power curve, and it pulls a lot better. Mishimoto MMRA-LC-FULLF Liquid Chill Synthetic Engine Coolant

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMRA-LC-FULLF-Synthetic-Coolant-Strength/dp/B00U2C236A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537813314&sr=8-3&keywords=synthetic+coolant[/ame]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seriously, I use something better. It got rid of a few flat spots on my power curve, and it pulls a lot better. Mishimoto MMRA-LC-FULLF Liquid Chill Synthetic Engine Coolant
Lol... It may last longer, but certainly doesn't cool any better. The difference in heat transfer coefficients between types of antifreeze is so small, it is impossible to have any effect...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts