2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 3s GT manual in white on black. I really like the KR206 wheels in hyper silver 18x7.5 (19 looks to rubber band to me based on pics I have seen...I drive a lot).

Where can I order without crappy tires included? I am debating the Hankook V12's vs the Michelin PSS's I had on my 1998 240SX and 2006 M3.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Can I talk you out of the Kyowa brand? And XXR? If it's gotta be cheap, at least choose something that other people have abused and NOT broken, like Kosei.

What's your budget for wheels/tires? I will vouch for PSS being the best daily-driven performance tire bar none, V12's aren't even in the same league. But 18" PSS are not cheap, you could easily pay more per tire than per wheel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can I talk you out of the Kyowa brand? And XXR? If it's gotta be cheap, at least choose something that other people have abused and NOT broken, like Kosei.

What's your budget for wheels/tires? I will vouch for PSS being the best daily-driven performance tire bar none, V12's aren't even in the same league. But 18" PSS are not cheap, you could easily pay more per tire than per wheel.
I have seen people talk bad about Kyowa, but I don't see anyone complaining about them here. If you know of actual problems, let me know. I live in S. Florida so we don't have pot holes really, but it you abuse a wheel it's going be damaged no matter who makes it. My buddy hit a hole with his Audi S5 and lost two wheels at about $2500 :) His insurance covered it fortunately and the car wasn't even a week old.

I can afford a lot more, but the thing is I don't plan on keeping this car once I pay it off. It was for my ex-wife and I had to sell my BMW M3 in the divorce. Her car is upside down because she wanted a 7 year loan that she was going to pay, but didn't. In two years or so I plan to trade this in or hand it down to my fiancée or her older son.

I really hate the look of the wheels on this car. I want to do some minor improvements I can enjoy while driving it and more or less afford to lose once I sell it.

I had the Hankooks on the Mazda for about 15,000 miles now (she lost a factory tire early on and so I just replaced them all because those tires sucked). I have had PSS's for probably 40,000 miles of driving and love them, but they are like 2x the price of the Hankooks more or less. The Hankooks are a great tire especially in the rain. It's not as good as the PSS, but I am not driving my Mazda 3 like I did my M3.

If you know another wheel with the KR206 / Volk CE28 10 spoke, look I am open to it. Varrstoen was popular in the BMW circle, but they don't come in the right sizing.

As far as budget, I want to keep it around $1000 or less and even then I am still debating whether or not to just throw a set of tires on what I have and call it a day. I just got a $3500 refund check for the remaining warranty I had on my M3 so technically I could blow it all on this, but I am not going to do that. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like Rota renamed the line up. The Tarmac 3 is their 10 spoke CE28 copy and the P1 is the 9 spoke version.

It's an 18x8" +48 wheel rather than the 7.5" +45 I was looking at with Kyowa. The hub is the right size which is a plus.

An 18x8+48 with a 225/40R18 tire should fit with no problems on a 2nd Gen, right?

I was debating a 19x7.5 with 235/35R19 on it, but that is rubber band territory.

If I do lower my car it will be 1-1.25" max.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nope. The Tarmac 3 is the Prodrive GC-10G replica and the P1 is the Work XD9 replica.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks, didn't know that, but now I see the differences in the hub area especially. It's still close enough for me. Do you know what CE28N 10 spoke copies are out there?

I want a wheel that is more subtle than totally flashy.

I ran Konig GTR's on my 97 GTI VR6 back in 1997, Kosei Racing Seneka's on my 96 Saturn SC2 Coupe in 1999 and 1998 Mustang Cobra wheels on my 1998 240SX from about 2004 until I bought my 2006 M3 last year on BBS wheels.

The BBS wheels on my M3 ZCP wouldn't be too bad on my Mazda 3, but I can't fine a really good fitment.

I like that Seneka look too...but a 7 spoke seems too little for wheels in the 18" range.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on the Kyowa brand...I had a set of Kyowa 626 on my corolla and they were/are amazing. Every winter in Kentucky the salt chews up our already shitty interstates and I was official pothole tester....I could've easily killed those wheels but I never had any serious problems I went through more tires than anything. Of course I had a small bend but nothing too serious. I sold the wheels on CL and the guy still has them today. I would say do some research on the brand these days and if everything looks okay go for it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.