2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flushed out my brake fluid today, all went well. Except... couldn't find the bleeder screw on the ABS module. I was a bit short on time so I have up pretty quickly.

Granted I can't get all the fluid out, but I figured I could at least get some of it. Went through the service manual and didn't see it in there either. Am I just stupid? Ok maybe don't answer that one.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,793 Posts
Sorry, year and model?

Here's a video from a cx-5, which shares a lot of parts with our 3s.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
I don't think there is one. When you change the fluid and bleed the brakes, keep the reservoir full so no air gets into the ABS box. To bleed the ABS box, you need an OBD diagnostic tool that cycles the ABS system to get the air out.

Didn't you do this a couple years ago? How did you do it then?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have to watch the video later.

And no I didn't bleed the brakes back then. I was just searching for a scantool that would allow bleeding of the ABS. Never found one. I've been monitoring the moisture content with a test tool and found that I didn't need to bleed the brakes until this year. That little thing has saved me a lot of work.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,793 Posts
I usually go by color.

Clear or amber = good
Brown = replace
CK

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My fluid was only lightly amber but the moisture content was quite high. It's a 2015 3 btw, forgot to respond to that one.

Got to watching the video. Pretty much same as I did. Almost identical. I think I'll have to live with not bleeding the ABS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah… if you didn’t have a fluid leak or replace anything that required opening up the system, you’re as good as you are going to get. All the fluid travels through the ABS module anyway. Activating the solenoids using a scan tool is meant to get trapped air bubbles out of the module, it’s really got nothing to do with a fluid flush.

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
Yeah… if you didn’t have a fluid leak or replace anything that required opening up the system, you’re as good as you are going to get. All the fluid travels through the ABS module anyway. Activating the solenoids using a scan tool is meant to get trapped air bubbles out of the module, it’s really got nothing to do with a fluid flush.
Yeah that is generally referred to as bleeding, and its possible to get air in the ABS box if you let the fluid in the cylinder get too low when flushing the system.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that is generally referred to as bleeding, and its possible to get air in the ABS box if you let the fluid in the cylinder get too low when flushing the system.
Yup took note of that having done this before. Kept it topped up. At this point I'm just going to be happy with having bled out almost all of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't speak specifically to the 3, but with Bosch brake systems, a scan tool capable of triggering the ABS bleed/fill procedure is required, along with a vacuum/fill service tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts