2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
D/A
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'VE SEARCHED!(but my Search-Fu is weak.)

I've been to Kragen, Vatozone, and Napa. They all looked at me weird when I said "FL22 coolant." I don't wanna drive to the dealership for a gallon or so. I'm gonna try Vacavalley Auto Part tomorrow. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
607 Posts
You can buy it at mazda,

Here's what mazda says:

To enhance service life, reduce waste material, and lower maintenance costs, a new long-life pre-mixed “FL22”
engine coolant is being introduced into mass-production for the models shown above.

It is recommended that FL22 coolant continue to be used for models originally filled with FL22 coolant from the
factory.
CAUTION: FL22 coolant is “pre-mixed” and must be added to the cooling system as is. DO NOT ADD
WATER TO FL22 COOLANT. Adding water will dilute the solution and lessen the effectiveness of
the coolant.
If coolant replacement becomes necessary for prior Mazda models (not originally filled with FL22 coolant), FL22
coolant can be used. If FL22 coolant is used for prior models, be sure to place the FL22 sticker on the reserve
tank or degas bottle to indicate FL22 coolant is being used.
NOTE:
• In the case of prior models, the coolant replacement interval is every five (5) years or 60,000 miles
(96,000 km).
• Six (6) FL22 stickers are included with each case of coolant.

Not very clear, but it's just another new type of coolant. Says here on the bottle, "ethylene glycol based.... 55/45 mixture recommended..... developed to provide corrosion and rust protection.....boiling point 270 degrees, freezing point -47 degrees. Ingrediants: Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Water (7732-18-5), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3), Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN 217).

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
weird, my coolant is still perfect.

·
D/A
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LoL

Not asking if I can use it or not. My car comes equipped with it, I'm just a little on the low side( below minimum ) and need to buy some. I've looked at those 3 stores and couldn't find any.

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
hopefully it works better than GM's ill-fated Dexcool long life coolant. sure you didn't have to change the coolant for 100k miles, but you had to replace the water pump in half that :lol 1:

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
I saw it the other day at Super Target

·
D/A
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, no SuperTargets around here, but I got a super Walmart in 2 towns over. Will check on my way into class tomorrow.

·
Registered
699 Posts
is that like the GM crap that actually started eating away at their heater cores (check out GM cars 1999-2001ish and the lack of a heater)? what's that called... dex something. Whatever happened to just reg. ole anti freeze.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'VE SEARCHED!(but my Search-Fu is weak.)

I've been to Kragen, Vatozone, and Napa. They all looked at me weird when I said "FL22 coolant." I don't wanna drive to the dealership for a gallon or so. I'm gonna try Vacavalley Auto Part tomorrow. Any suggestions?
here's some info that may help....

BTW if your low... that might be bad. This stuff is suppose to be changed at 120,000 miles or 10 years.

"another guy reported:
Just got an email back from Old World Industries (the guys that make Peak, Sierra, and other antifreeze brands). They say FL-22 is a Motorcraft extended life coolant and that either Peak Global Lifetime or Peak LongLife Antifreeze can be added to FL-22 without issue. Both of those are silicate free, and at least LongLife is also phosphate free. "
FL-22 Engine Coolant - Mazda CX-7 Forums

Reactions: Scooby

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you can't find it in a local store, I wonder if it would be avialable at a Ford dealer. The engine was designed with Ford and may share a lot of common parts. I'd be curious if they use the same stuff.

·
D/A
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I got up early and decided to head to school and drop by every single auto parts store I haven't already been to and to retail stores that have auto products. NOTHING! Super WalMart = Nothing. Vaca Valley = Nothing. Pep-Boys = Nothing. So, I decided to bite the bullet after school and go to the dealership. $23 for a frickin gallon! WTF?!?

·
Registered
699 Posts
So, I got up early and decided to head to school and drop by every single auto parts store I haven't already been to and to retail stores that have auto products. NOTHING! Super WalMart = Nothing. Vaca Valley = Nothing. Pep-Boys = Nothing. So, I decided to bite the bullet after school and go to the dealership. $23 for a frickin gallon! WTF?!?
could be worse... $703

Amazon.com: Motorcraft VC7B: Automotive
Motorcraft VC7B

·
Registered
699 Posts
here's some more info... refering to the Ford specs... do they match Mazda spec requirements? Dunno at the moment.

"Motorcraft dark green antifreeze.
Dark green-colored, longer-life, ethylene glycol-based, engine coolant for use in gasoline engines.

Provides year-round antifreeze, anti-boil and corrosion protection.

A 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water provides freeze protection down to -34°F (-37°C) and boiling protection up to 265°F (129°C).

Use only when specified. Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with any green-colored, conventional engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification ESE-M97B44-A, or with the yellow-colored, longer-life Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51-A1, or with any orange-colored, extended-life engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B44-D.

Meets the requirements of WSS-M97B55-A and ASTM D 3306."

Motorcraft dark green antifreeze. VC-10A2

·
Registered
699 Posts
WTF? Does that stuff have real gold in it?
lmao... guess so? I do see the same picture, but different type of gold motocraft coolant on amazon and it was around 54 bux.

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
Sorry to dig up this thread.. went to a mazda dealer and they are selling the fl 22 coolant for $30 a gallon, seems a bit expensive to me.. They said I should buy 2 because the car needs a little more than 1 gallon.

Will the car really need more than 1 gallon if I drain it and replace with a new coolant?

·
Registered
72 Posts
FL22 COOLANT

Peak Long Life 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze and Coolant is the same stuff. Advance Auto Parts sells it for $12.99 a gallon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Krimson Viper... Been in your shoes before. I had to do a thermostat replacement on a Mazda 6 that required FL22 and guess what... DEALERSHIP ONLY! :( Do NOT mix it with Dex Cool or any other "auto store coolant" out there... even the orange stuff that says "can be mixed with any coolant"... FL22 is awesome in that it lasts forever... but its pre-mixed (so you cant buy a gallon, add a gallon of distilled water, and voila the 2 gallons you need)... they make you but 2 gallons of the pre-mixed stuff becuase they're a-holes...

Anyway... long story and lots of anger short, Dealership is where you'll get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts