2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new 2015 3i Sport Hatchback AT (1k miles).

if i see a red light, I let go of the gas and try to cruise to a stop.

but as soon as my speed goes below 20mph, it feels like my speed is decreasing a lot faster?
(the road is flat.)

·
Registered
723 Posts
You may be noticing the auto tranny downshifting as the speed decreases. Most gasoline cars provide an "engine braking" effect caused by the engine's compression holding back the coasting speed. A beneficial effect is that it can prolong the life of the brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this applies, but Mazda now has a brake regeneration system they call "i-ELOOP". It uses capacitors to generate electricity via kinetic energy from your brake system to power electric components. Part of skyactive system I think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The i-eloop is optional and it's not on most Mazda3s.
What if you shift to neutral when you're cruising and having that big resistance below 20mph. Is the resistance change huge or reasonable?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so engine braking?

why didn't I feel this in my 2005 Mazda 3i AT?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if this applies, but Mazda now has a brake regeneration system they call "i-ELOOP". It uses capacitors to generate electricity via kinetic energy from your brake system to power electric components. Part of skyactive system I think.
Not at all how it works and it is ONLY available on the Mazda 3s GT as part of the optional tech package. The alternator is only engaged when your foot is off the throttle and the current is stored in the battery AND capacitors to be used later. Alternator is not engaged when throttle is applied. The brakes are not involved at all to produce current.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts