2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend bought a second hand 2007 Mazda 3, automatic transmission, with ~124,000km on the clock, a few weeks ago. This weekend after driving in the Rockies, we noticed a wheezing, metallic rattling noise at startup. Sound goes away after a couple of seconds, but during the engine turnover, the noise is there that wasn't there last week.

We recorded a video of it, to help identify the noise (which I'll post in a reply, if I can).

I've been searching around about this all last night and this morning, but it doesn't quite sound like any of the other descriptions I've heard people complain of (it never does, does it?) Potential causes seem to be AC compressor and maybe engine mounts. It might also be useful to know that the check engine light came on because of "Insufficient Coolant Temp For Stable Operation", though it's not come back on since (we also topped up oil at the same time, coolant looked plenty full).

Any thoughts on what the root cause of the sound might be, to help us decide whether to take it to a mechanic or not, would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I can't post the link until I have more posts. I guess if anyone is willing to listen, you could DM me, please?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts