2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the wheel and tire section, but not sure if anyone looks there:

So i took my car to the dealer for an oil change and tire rotate and balance.....

They asked why i wanted the balance and i told the guy i felt a slight vibration sometimes it could be the pavement, but I have 13K miles and i like to rebalance every now and then.

I wait for my car and get it back an hour later - 1/4 mile away at 40mph and the steering wheel is shimmying back and forth at least an inch each way and gets worse as i get up to 50mph. I take the car back and tell them to take a look at it - it didn't come in that way.

An hour later, they want me take a ride as they re-rotated. Now at 50-60mph it still has a bad shimmy - they put the tires back the way they are. Anyway, they put in a loaner and tell me they will call me later - maybe a belt separation in a tire.

They call me in the evening and say that it is the tire, but different warranty with michelin, so they will see what they can do. Day 2- they call and tell me a tire is on order and they will get Mazda to cover it - car will be ready tomorrow.

Day 3 - i get call in the afternoon - sorry, you have a bent rim - we should not have missed that. Hold tight we will see what we can do.

So my questions to the forum -

1. If the tire had a bad belt - would it have balanced and later shimmied all over?
2. if the rim was bent - would it have balanced and later shimmied?
3. could a competent tire guy miss this at all? either case

It is pretty obvious that the dealer did something - i have the 2010 GT with the AL rims - but how could they have screwed up so bad OR how could they miss this. The car drove FINE when it came in.

Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I posted a response to your other thread!

Admin should condense both threads, I think?!?!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts