2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew a tire on a pothole and I'm feeling confident that it got my wheel bearing too as I'm getting the humm sound afterwards. I'm looking at the pics of the wheel bearings for this car and it doesn't look like the hub/bearing is pressed in. I was hoping that someone could enlighten me on the subject for the 2014+ years. I just basically want to know if I can do it myself and not require pulling the whole knuckle off to get it out of there.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
I blew a tire on a pothole and I'm feeling confident that it got my wheel bearing too as I'm getting the humm sound afterwards. I'm looking at the pics of the wheel bearings for this car and it doesn't look like the hub/bearing is pressed in. I was hoping that someone could enlighten me on the subject for the 2014+ years. I just basically want to know if I can do it myself and not require pulling the whole knuckle off to get it out of there.
Mazda OEM front hubs have the bearings installed. You can find Mazda front hub removal on youtube.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Nothing on the 2014 though. Everything out there is pre 2014.
If you've already removed the brakes/rotors, then the next step isn't hard - HUB

It's a critical part to remove/replace - torque to spec, crimping the ring, tightening the large nut and replacing the abs ring correctly.

A mechanic is cheaper, if you don't already have all the tools.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, my budget is 150 total. Mechanic doesn't fit that. I have the tools to do it. I just wanted to know if it required removing the knuckle or not. Or if the hub just pops right out of the knuckle.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Yea, my budget is 150 total. Mechanic doesn't fit that. I have the tools to do it. I just wanted to know if it required removing the knuckle or not. Or if the hub just pops right out of the knuckle.
4 hex bolts if you can access them, penetrating oil and difficulty will depend on corrosion.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Gregersonke, let me know how you get on as think i need to change Hub (for wheel bearing as well).
Annoying knocking noise when rocking wheel from top, but dont have any normal wheel bearing hum noise though!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knocking noise could be the thrust bearing at the top of the strut. It's a known issue, you can tear it apart and grease it up

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2014 generation Mazda3 uses a full hub assembly and does not require removal of the knuckle. We made an instructional video on how to do it here:

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,119 Posts
Moog makes a replacement hub assembly for our cars... Hmm.. :unsure:
CK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts