2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new set of wheels and I was wondering if any of you use wheel locks?

I thought of just using the regular spline style lug nuts.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In my honest opinion wheels locks are useless. The oem locks can be very easily removed with a breaker bar and a couple loose sockets(lost my oem key...now that i think about it, i still owe my father-in-law 3 sockets...lol). Those ones you showed are even worse because you can get a replacement key from any auto parts store(pep boys, A&A, advance auto, basically anywhere that sells the sets). I have a set for my winter wheels(only because i needed a second set of lugs and wanted black ones) and i went and picked up like 3 extra keys so i can have one in each car and 2 in my garage. If someone wants your wheels bad enough then they won't care about doing a little damage to them to get them off. Now if you have a nice $4k set of wheels then your opinion may be different than mine.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'm getting a new set of wheels and I was wondering if any of you use wheel locks?

These are nice looking and will at least slowdown a thief or maybe discourage them enough to look elsewhere.
If you want a little more peace of mind IMHO the good old McGard locks that have been around for years will work very nicely if.....you buy 2 or more sets and use at least 2 locks per wheel and torque properly . This will not stop an expert thief but it will piss them off because it takes twice as long to get a wheel off your car.

Also add a nice NRA sticker in your back window. Now some may think this will not do anything but really....thinking like a thief I would not want to always think about the person catching me in the middle of stealing his wheel or breaking into his car and have to consider.....hmmm NRA???? CCW??? :laugh2:

·
Registered
578 Posts

I have those but in chrome, they’ve held up pretty nicely for 4 years now. I live in Atlanta for a while now and nothing has happened to my car parked outside at night. If you are really worried about someone stealing your wheels you can always buy two different sets of locking lugs and use both on your wheels that way its harder to be stolen.

However, like someone said if someone really wants them there’s always a way but with this it’d take them more effort.

Reactions: Stewie

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a different set with an irregular key pattern. they are a complete pain in the ass to get off.
Also with mine i constantly worry about scratching my wheels.
I will be going back to stock or a stock-ish black version soon so I can use an exterior coated socket.

As others have said, if they want them they will get them.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
Keyed locks are useless and quite often end up causing more issues for the owner than a would be thief. Mostly the keys get lost, or left at the dealer or tire shop, then when you actually need it you won't have it. This happens all the time, as evidenced on virtually any forum by the number posts on this subject.
Wheel locks are quite easy to defeat using one of those sockets made to remove rounded nuts. Anyone can buy a set of master keys on ebay for under $100, which can be used to remove just about any lock. Keyed locks are for the most part a feel good measure, nothing more. A determined thief will steal your wheels regardless.
Spline drive McGards are a good option though. They are two piece construction, with a floating seat that won't mar or gall up an expensive rim. The drive diameter is a lot smaller than a conventional lug also. Many aftermarket rims have smaller wells around the lug so a regular socket either won't fit or will fit tightly and scrape up the inside.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Nothing will stop or pro or a smart amateur for many come prepared with tools. However having wheel locks can stop someone on meth or other spacehead, or at least slow them down a lot. That time delay can often result in that jerk-thief, in frustration, moving on the next car which has no locks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've the OEM ones, if anyone wants them. First thing I did was to buy 4 more lugs and remove them.

These are the ones from our Miata, which I think takes the same lugs. The 2016 Maz3 didn't have wheel locks.

Ralph

·
Banned
842 Posts
I want this: :lol 1:

Auto Taser The security system, designed to give an intruder a pulsating 50,000-volt electron shock, is being touted by the manufacturer as a "portable lightning storm" and the "first and only automotive defense system that fights back."

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
I have one special lock per wheel. Unfortunately, it is a similar pattern to the one's op posted, though they're also a bit different. If anything, they act as a deterrent because the common rookie criminal would not carry wheel locks with him when he's out and about stealing wheels.

Thieves generally target wheels without locks because it is much faster to strip them off of the car. Is is foolproof? no. But it does decrease chances of being wheel-jacked

·
Registered
111 Posts
I want this: :lol 1:

Auto Taser The security system, designed to give an intruder a pulsating 50,000-volt electron shock, is being touted by the manufacturer as a "portable lightning storm" and the "first and only automotive defense system that fights back."
As an E38 owner, I couldn't disagree more...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use the spline nuts and mcgard locks on mine... I like the visible mcgard locks. As others have stated it won't stop a good thief at all but it will discourage some idiot from trying and screwing things up ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts