2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be installing Racing Beat springs on stock shocks/struts and adding as much negative camber as I can using Eibach camber bolts. I know that within OEM specs, more negative camber and more positive camber is a good thing, but what about toe?

I realize that most of excessive tire wear can be attributed to unusual toe settings, but I'm just curious. Has anyone played around with their toe settings? If so, do you have an opinion on how much toe in/out you run on your car?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be installing Racing Beat springs on stock shocks/struts and adding as much negative camber as I can using Eibach camber bolts. I know that within OEM specs, more negative camber and more positive camber is a good thing, but what about toe?

I realize that most of excessive tire wear can be attributed to unusual toe settings, but I'm just curious. Has anyone played around with their toe settings? If so, do you have an opinion on how much toe in/out you run on your car?

Thanks
Your alignment guy will have fits but.....:smile2:

Front toe 0 .05° left and right

Front camber -2° both sides

Caster 6.5° both sides

Rear toe 0.08° both sides

Rear camber -1.5° both sides

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
What's the max anyone has gotten from oem spec stuff? Cause my autocross mechanic is going to give mine a massage in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
I doubt my dealership can handle that... They just seemed to care about getting the results within acceptable ranges. "In the green" as my mechanic had put it.

I'll start asking around for a shop that can handle the task.

Thanks for the info.
CK

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
I doubt my dealership can handle that... They just seemed to care about getting the results within acceptable ranges. "In the green" as my mechanic had put it.

I'll start asking around for a shop that can handle the task.

Thanks for the info.
CK
Definitely find a good shop to do that for you, don't let the dealership play with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Caster 6.5° both sides

Are these recommended specs for a "street-track" car or for his specific situation wanting negative camber? Curious for my next alignment requests.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Neither really, just numbers that are better than "somewhere in that direction".:smile2: More responsive, better front end bite and a bit less tendency to push in a corner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Caster 6.5° both sides

Did you specify any kind of requests to your alignment guy? Do you say the alignment guy will have fits because of the camber bolt? AFAIK, even camber plates give -1.5 camber with lowering springs.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Did you specify any kind of requests to your alignment guy? Do you say the alignment guy will have fits because of the camber bolt? AFAIK, even camber plates give -1.5 camber with lowering springs.
Some places can't / won't / don't know how to go outside manufacturer specs. If you have someone who can do a precision alignment and hit the numbers instead of just "in the green" it should not be too much of an issue as long as the place will do it.

·
Banned
842 Posts
First of all it is about liability and not the experience level why most shops "must" stay withing the alignment specification set by the OEM.
NEVER use someone elses modified alignment specifications. Most every vehicle is different in both age ,parts used and drivers needs.

There are many shops that the alignment technician may talk with you about some changes outside of the OEM specification if they know it is for a track day but they may have you sign a disclaimer.
These are the people you want to get a report started so you can go in and have changes made to tailor to your driving ability or suspension changes and won't worry to much about the service for you.

Most none OEM specification can prematurely wear many suspension parts as well as tires so keep this in mind if you when you choose to go with custom alignments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts