2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the grill has a spot for the license plate and if you relocate the license plate down below the grill, you will see the ugly mounting plate for the license plate. What is everybody doing about it? Just deal with it? What options are there?

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
Two options-

1- deal with it
2- replace the grill
There are a few different aftermarket grilles out there, google it. Also, there is a piece that covers the space and sort of blends it in with the surrounding sections. You'll find more than a few threads about this subject here, search function is upper right on the main page.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just put the supplied plug grommets with the Corksport license plate relocation kit in the grille.
I was going to replace the grille with an eggcrate one, but since I might not be keeping the 3 past next year there is
no point.

·
Banned
842 Posts
At the moment I have not decided what to do with mine either? I looked at a few aftermarket grill options aftermarket available for my year M3 (2018 ) and didn't care for them. So I painted a couple of allen heads to fill the unsightly licence plate holes. I also was considering CARBON FIBER Vinyl on the center flat area's towards the center of the grill.
That may IMHO look pretty good. I quickly cut a piece for this picture posting a few minutes ago, sooooo itsa rough cut but you get the idea?

20180206_074630_resize.jpg

20180206_074742_resize.jpg

20180206_074912_resize.jpg

20180206_075020_resize.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the moment I have not decided what to do with mine either? I looked at a few aftermarket grill options aftermarket available for my year M3 (2018 ) and didn't care for them. So I painted a couple of allen heads to fill the unsightly licence plate holes. I also was considering CARBON FIBER Vinyl on the center flat area's towards the center of the grill.
That may IMHO look pretty good. I quickly cut a piece for this picture posting a few minutes ago, sooooo itsa rough cut but you get the idea?

View attachment 230658

View attachment 230666

View attachment 230674

View attachment 230682
Ya I understand what you're saying. I'd have to see all my options before I decide. All I know is I want the license plate below the grill. I was surprised at the lack of aftermarket grills out there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just left my two holes there and surprisingly, it hasn't bothered me as much as I initially thought it would.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Ya I understand what you're saying. I'd have to see all my options before I decide. All I know is I want the license plate below the grill. I was surprised at the lack of aftermarket grills out there.
This is the one I think looks great and may even help increase the total CFM?.

But not yet available for 2017-2018 M3..... :frown2:

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Why not just simply show the grille w/ the No-Drill Relocator & cover the holes w/ black screws or upholstery plugs?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Careful you dont mess up your smart city braking sensor by replacing the grill.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
The insert previously mentioned. Clean as a whistle - I presume this is how Mazda originally intended it to look....

Here's the part. It ain't cheap, but you have to buy it as a pair with the tow hook relocator -- obviously I tossed the tow hook thingy...

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45359

Attachments

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Chazzy how did you make your grill so glossy? Mine is ugly Matt black. Even if I want to plastidip it without taking it off, not sure how to cover the radiator and other back part of the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
@Chazzy how did you make your grill so glossy? Mine is ugly Matt black. Even if I want to plastidip it without taking it off, not sure how to cover the radiator and other back part of the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe (keyword, believe) the gloss grille was a standard part on '14-'16 S-trim models. I-trim models had the matte black.

Should honestly be relatively painless to wrap the grille slits with a nice gloss black wrap (or plastidip -- however you want to accomplish it). I did the same thing with the fog light covers as well. Wrapping isn't too hard, just takes time and patience. Do it with a heat gun or with soapy water -- youtube might be able to make it easy for you.

However, if you're super uninclined to do wrap and would rather rip the front bumper off and replace the grill outright, here's a link for the gloss black grill. You want part number 1, w/o adaptive cruise for $122:

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...as-engine/body-cat/grille-and-components-scat

There are threads on here that show you how to remove the front bumper if you want to go that route. That would be the more "scientific route" (take bumper off, replace grille, put bumper back on) as opposed to having to develop a new wrapping skillset you might not be comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The insert previously mentioned. Clean as a whistle - I presume this is how Mazda originally intended it to look....

Here's the part. It ain't cheap, but you have to buy it as a pair with the tow hook relocator -- obviously I tossed the tow hook thingy...

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45359
The insert is the proper way to plug holes & complete the relocation....something the 2017+ BN3s won't need.
Your car really kicks arse, @Chazzy J.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts