2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There are no clear instructions on OVTune website on how to data log and reading on the treads didn't provide me a good answer.

I know I need to do a WOT pulling from 3rd gear until I reach redline, but what other logs should I do? Do I need to a log a file for engine idle? A log for driving around the city? how many minutes?

Also my car is an AT, do I need to put it in manual when doing a WOT?

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Can we even get a wide open throttle in an automatic? I would think the car would drop down a gear automatically after a point.
CK

Reactions: Davidval18

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can we even get a wide open throttle in an automatic? I would think the car would drop down a gear automatically after a point.
CK
Just came back from doing my WOT's, and that is exactly what happened lol. I was driving in 3rd gear low rpm, floored the gas, automatically drops back to 2nd....It is quiet the challenge to do a WOT on an automatic car... as whenever you floor the gas the current low rpm speed is cancelled, so yeah that makes is quiet impossible.

@JDabzzz, Thanks! These instructions are better than the one posted on OVTune website right now, so If I got this correctly I should make WOT pulling from second gear and by not pressing the kickdown switch correct? Let it shift to third and I finish my WOT? Or should I pull from third gear low rpm and by not pressing the kickdown switch until I reach redline?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
I think we need to build up the RPMs at a slower rate than flooring it.

I've noticed the gear auto drop thing happening the most when I floor the pedal and am at pretty low RPMs to start. A fast but gradual acceleration typically holds the gear until I'm ready to upshift.
CK

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your feedback! I'm in noob territory right now , but I'll master this stuff! :)

I guess I'll have to re-do my WOT's, but I'll wait for OV's reply regarding if the WOT's I sent him earlier are ok or not lol...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
No worries. Please keep us in the loop as things progress.

I'm curious to see how this works out, as this may be a future mod for me.
CK

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just came back from doing my WOT's, and that is exactly what happened lol. I was driving in 3rd gear low rpm, floored the gas, automatically drops back to 2nd....It is quiet the challenge to do a WOT on an automatic car... as whenever you floor the gas the current low rpm speed is cancelled, so yeah that makes is quiet impossible.

@JDabzzz, Thanks! These instructions are better than the one posted on OVTune website right now, so If I got this correctly I should make WOT pulling from second gear and by not pressing the kickdown switch correct? Let it shift to third and I finish my WOT? Or should I pull from third gear low rpm and by not pressing the kickdown switch until I reach redline?

Thanks!
He recommended we use 3rd gear from around 1500 rpm all the way until redline for your WOT pulls.

For our AT, the pedal position is like 82.xx in your Accelerator Pedal Position parameter in MazdaEdit. It's the furthest the pedal goes down before activating the switch.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
148 Posts
One last question, on OV's website there are instructions to choose 28 parameters only for the data logging:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0885/5830/files/OVTUNE-DATALOGGING.pdf?3247496203726073894

While on @JDabzzz instructions there are even more, 49 to be exact:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0885/5830/files/OVTUNE-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Which parameters should I choose?

Thanks!
I would use
or just double check with Mat.

At least 90% of what's in that image are what I have ticked in my MazdaEdit. The way I think of it is that he can ignore some parameters if you checked extra, but if you dont have them checked at all, he can't even see those.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked with Mat, he said to stick with the 28 parameters list.

Just came back from doing WOT, started in manual 3rd gear low rpms (1500 -1800) to redline at about (6500 -6700) , 2 well done runs! These are definitely better than the ones I did yesterday lol !

Thanks everybody for your help! So far I have been on base tune file from stock ECU, and now I shall wait for my first tune (or second depends how you look at it). So excited to check how the car will feel with the next tune file ! Since on base tune file I didn't feel a noticeable difference... just a higher redline I would say :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts