2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those autoxing, what tire pressure to you run.
I bumped up to 39.5. Car handled way diff, at 36 psi the tire was scuffing half way down!!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Wow I daily with 30 even I get so much more grip that way lol

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
It depends on the tire and strength of the side wall. The stock yokos I ran close to 40 and my current fierce instincts seem to like it around 36

Sent from a rabbit hole

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any downside to daily driving with more psi other than a stiffer ride?

I left the backs wheels at 36. Seemed to work pretty gd for me.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
It's a different feel for everybody. Try different pressures but always check/fill them at a consistent temperature.

Sent from a rabbit hole

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I feel the car handles better with a higher psi than with a lower. Too low and the tires roll which sucks and feels awkward.
I know thats the case but for some reason mine feel better with lower tire pressure lol

·
Just Getting Started
105 Posts
I usually run aobut 45-50psi (yes thats over the rated limit) in the front
and about 40-45 in the rear...

The tires say one thing.. but you can do more.. Basically just inflatter your tires till they quit rolling.

·
Free Tibet! Today Only!!
914 Posts
I know thats the case but for some reason mine feel better with lower tire pressure lol
Higher pressure helps with better initial grip, but it can also cause sudden loss of grip.
Lower pressure gives grip at lower speeds, but can hinder handling at higher speeds. It's better to have lower pressure on rear wheels on a RWD car. Any tire spin will cause expansion giving a better overall pressure. Also, it makes for a more precise drift.

Words. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I run around 45 PSI up front and adjust the rear pressure to get the desired amount of rotation (35psi-50psi) depending on the surface. This is on a HS car with a 16x6.5 wheel and 225 or 245 width tires. I'm also running Bilstein sport shocks, Hotchkis 32mm rear sway, and slight toe out front and rear (1/8 and 1/16th).

Decided to go back to street tires last month to support the new Road Tire classes at National events after a two and a half year Hiatus using nothing but r-comps. Decided to go with Dunlop Star Specs in the 225/50/16 size. Also ran 45 psi up front with the Dunlops and they worked well at that pressure. At Lincoln last week I did the TNT before competing and found 45 psi front and 50 psi rear worked well on that surface. Remember, up front you want to maximize the contact patch of the tire and on a camber limited fwd car higher than normal pressures are needed. If you're rolling onto the sidewall at all, you're not maximizing the contact patch and steering response gets vague and sluggish. Lower psi isn't always better.

Anyway, I'd say the setup worked pretty well and ended up snagging a trophy at Nationals :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts