2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2019 M3 AWD Sedan with the Toyo Proxes A40s. While the factory spec is to run them at 36 psi, I run them at 41-42, because I like a stiffer ride and less chance of banging up a wheel on a pothole. I just took my car into the dealer for the annual oil change and the software recall, and of course, they lowered the tire pressure back to 36 psi. It didn't surprise me, but it is a little irritating. That being said, I'm wondering what tire pressure other readers run their tires at.

Care to share?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I run my 2019 AWD with 39–40 psi for the same reasons you do plus, I am also more concerned about the pressure being too low than too high.

I too am frustrated that my mechanic lowered it to 36.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there! My 2020 G150 Sedan came factory with Bridgestone Blizzak (winter) and Bridgestone Turanza tires (summer). Wheel size is stock - 215/45/18, and my summer tires were fitted by the dealer because I store them there. Although it says on the door sill that the pressure should be 2.5 [bar] (36 psi), they've inflated them to 2.7 [bar] (39 psi) on each corner (cold measurment). When I'm driving the front tires can go up to 2.9 [bar] (42 psi), and 2.8 [bar] (40 psi) on the rear tires. It seems high for my taste since I'm used to running 2.5 [bar] on my previous cars, however the dealer said this was standard practice for this particular tire type and size. The car is driving fine, and doesn't seem too stiff so far.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also more concerned about the pressure being too low than too high.
I failed to mention that as well. Perhaps the most important reason to overinflate from the factory recommendation.

·
Registered
200 Posts
38/36 cold on the heavier turbo, so sometimes I'll see 41/39-ish once it warms up outside or I've driven around a certain amount.
I am with you on this one, I run 39/36 cold on my M3 Turbo, been happy with that.

Reactions: perseus

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
125 Posts
When I used to drive everyday an hour each way to work on a mix of highway and twisty backroads, using a Subaru Impreza, I found that the outside shoulders of the front tires wore out too fast at the stock tire pressures (I was obsessive about the alignment, so it wasn't wearing from a bad alignment). Lets just say that I got the most out of my driving time everyday, doing my best to squirt my brains out my ear-holes throwing the car into corners. I found that I got more life out of the tires by overinflating the fronts by 2-4 psi and the rears by 1-2 psi. I also found that going any more than that didn't give me any more tread life, made the car nervous in a straight line, and also made the tires slip sooner when cornering hard. Of course, this was all on a Subaru with Eagle GT+4 tires back in the 90's, so none of that might be relevant today...

Overall, I would say to try changing the pressure when you can drive the same route, and see if you can feel any difference. In any case, I wouldn't change the pressure too much from stock, as it could make the car's handling feel weird and unpredictable.

Also, don't worry about what the pressures are when you are driving. All recommended pressures are cold pressures, meaning when the car and tires are at ambient temperatures. They make their recommendations knowing that the pressures will go up while driving.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had quite the opposite when I picked up my new car. Driving home was horrible, I thought I was driving a Flintstones vehicle with rock tires.

I measured it when I got home and the dealership had over 55 psi in the tires. After adjusting the pressure to what it says on the door jam, the ride and handling was so much better. I say stick with what the engineers decided for pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2019 M3 AWD Sedan with the Toyo Proxes A40s. While the factory spec is to run them at 36 psi, I run them at 41-42, because I like a stiffer ride and less chance of banging up a wheel on a pothole. I just took my car into the dealer for the annual oil change and the software recall, and of course, they lowered the tire pressure back to 36 psi. It didn't surprise me, but it is a little irritating. That being said, I'm wondering what tire pressure other readers run their tires at.

Care to share?
I also pump hiigher pressure on my tires - 40 in front and 39 on the rear. My tire pressure loses about 2-3 psi per month sitting in the garage. I also prefer the stiffer ride.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I measured it when I got home and the dealership had over 55 psi in the tires....I say stick with what the engineers decided for pressure.
It's not that the dealership inflated the tires to 55 psi, it's that they didn't deflate them from the high pressure the tires are inflated to at the factory like they are supposed to during the predelivery inspection. The factory inflates them that high to avoid the tires developing flat spots during transportation and sitting in storage.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
186 Posts
I keep them at 36PSI as recommended on my '19 Mazda3 AWD with the Toyo Proxes AS.
On my other car, the recommendation is 35PSI front and 42PSI rear however it has a system that, I think, takes into account the if the tires are warm as the recommended pressure changes a slightly once I drive a bit (which is to be expected as tires warm up).
I have a Ryobi tire inflator with a 18V/2Ah battery which is easy to use and does it's job nicely.
IMG_7763.jpeg IMG_7762.jpeg IMG_7764.jpeg
Here's on my other car after driving for 5 minutes and then 10 minutes:
IMG_7772.jpeg IMG_7773.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealer delivered the car with 60psi tires. Drive it around for a couple of weeks before I realized that the high pressure was the reason behind the rough ride.

Now I drive it at about 39psi cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts