Votes: 1 2.3%

Votes: 4 9.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Kenpachi
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new 15' Mazda 3 Owner and I wanted to know what "rating" of gas everyone on here uses? I've seen a few threads in the 201-2013 forums that the cars are made to run 87 but I wanted to know if that is true for Gen 3's

·
Registered
191 Posts
I run regular ... that's 85 octane in Colorado (>6000'), but equivalent to around 88 at sea level.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use the lowest I can get before pre-detonation, as should everyone else. Remember, folks, octane =/= power:thumbup 1:

Reactions: Mychal89

·
Registered
52 Posts
^ ^
True. In the Philippines, we use 100 RON, which is similar to the Ultra 94 AKI (Anti Knock Index) used by a handful of Sunoco stations used here in the States. Overkill for most cars driven over there.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
All I know is that if I use regular my car sounds like crap and knocks at idle in the morning. If I use premium, no problems at cold startup, plus I get about 2-3 mpg consistently better per tank. I got the 2.5L

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use regular gas because that's what the owner's manual recommends. Regular = 87 octane, per the (R+M)/2 figure we use in the US to specify octane ratings.

It varies but whatever contains no ethanol.
Are you in the US? Where do you find gasoline WITHOUT ethanol these days? There's no gas without ethanol to be found anywhere near where I live (MD).

Manual says Regular Unleaded, so that's what I use. No real benefit spending 10-30 cents more a gallon.
My thoughts exactly, wasting cash otherwise.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Are you in the US? Where do you find gasoline WITHOUT ethanol these days? There's no gas without ethanol to be found anywhere near where I live (MD).
Yes I'm in the US, and there's 4 stations selling fuel w/o ethanol within a 5 min drive of me, and plenty others throughout the region.

I prefer to eat my corn, not burn it, thank you very much.

·
Kenpachi
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone. I guess I can stick with 87 from Shell. I still haven't even used all of the full tank they gave me when I bough the car Hahaha.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes I'm in the US, and there's 4 stations selling fuel w/o ethanol within a 5 min drive of me, and plenty others throughout the region.

I prefer to eat my corn, not burn it, thank you very much.
Same here! Unfortunately I can't find anything but E-10 (up to 10% ethanol) locally. Ethanol is bad because it absorbs moisture, accellerates corrosion of metallic fuel system components and can even dissolve some plastics that are not designed to handle it. It especially sucks for older cars and any small engines/outdoor power equipment that isn't used frequently.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My thoughts exactly, wasting cash otherwise.
10 percent difference in price, 5-10 percent difference in mileage for me and it runs better. Time saved on filling up pays for the difference. So really no loss on my part. I do at the minimum 400 miles a week just for work up to 2000 depending on where my customers that week are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i've pretty much always gone with 91 on all my vehicles. i also try and stick to same gas station, my regular chevron is well kept and easy as hell to get on and off fwy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
10 percent difference in price, 5-10 percent difference in mileage for me and it runs better. Time saved on filling up pays for the difference. So really no loss on my part. I do at the minimum 400 miles a week just for work up to 2000 depending on where my customers that week are.
I'm not doubting you, but in all the cars I've owned, I've never been able to measure an appreciable difference in fuel mileage between tanks of regular and premium gas. Any differences that I have seen are in the +/- 1~2 MPG range, well within the margin of error that is better explained by factors such as driving conditions (city/hwy mix, cold/hot weather or just my driving style for that particular tank) than difference in fuel grade.

Difference in the price between regular (87) & premium (93) is about $0.40 ($2.79 vs. 3.19) where I live. That equates to about a 14.3% cost difference. So for the purposes of doing the break even analysis, if my average mileage on regular was 30 MPG, I would need to get 34.29 MPG (30MPG * 1.143) or better on premium fuel to make up the cost difference.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm not doubting you, but in all the cars I've owned, I've never been able to measure an appreciable difference in fuel mileage between tanks of regular and premium gas. Any differences that I have seen are in the +/- 1~2 MPG range, well within the margin of error that is better explained by factors such as driving conditions (city/hwy mix, cold/hot weather or just my driving style for that particular tank) than difference in fuel grade.

Difference in the price between regular (87) & premium (93) is about $0.40 ($2.79 vs. 3.19) where I live. That equates to about a 14.3% cost difference. So for the purposes of doing the break even analysis, if my average mileage on regular was 30 MPG, I would need to get 34.29 MPG (30MPG * 1.143) or better on premium fuel to make up the cost difference.
Wow, huge difference for you. Here it's only 30 cents regardless if gas is 3 or 4 bucks a gallon. Also gotta check the calculation in regards to time. But for me my average with regular came out around 29 and premium around 32. Add in the time factor of not having to fill up for an extra 30 miles per tank saves me about 5 min per tank. times 2-3 tanks a week means 20-30min a week. Calculated into 35/hr value of time saves me an extra 15 a week in time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts