2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Isn't 5k overkill for full synthetic?
I would hope so. I don't know if I'm running to 10k or such but I'm at about 6k and counting on the first full synthetic change, and I assumed it was filled with the 0W20 from the factory and ran that about 6k. I'm still testing the flexible oil change monitor to see when it actually gets down to suggesting I change it, but I won't let it go "too long", whatever I determine too long is, probably no more than 8k. I suspect I will just have it changed long about late Feb or early Mar before it racks up yet another 1500 mile trip, even though those are easy highway miles as are the vast majority of them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I would hope so. I don't know if I'm running to 10k or such but I'm at about 6k and counting on the first full synthetic change, and I assumed it was filled with the 0W20 from the factory and ran that about 6k. I'm still testing the flexible oil change monitor to see when it actually gets down to suggesting I change it, but I won't let it go "too long", whatever I determine too long is, probably no more than 8k. I suspect I will just have it changed long about late Feb or early Mar before it racks up yet another 1500 mile trip, even though those are easy highway miles as are the vast majority of them.
Even though mine were mostly highway I didn't trust Canadian weather too much and I did mine @ 5k from fact oil, after that 6-8k synthetic.

Warranty ppl might get mad lol, I might lower it just b/c of warranty

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Mazda 3 2.0 sedan 6spd.
Im using the WIX #57002 oil filter and 0w20 Mobile 1 extended performance. I did my first oil change at 507 miles and i'm currently at 1,096 miles. Also installed the Fumoto oil drain valve f106n.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am driving Mazda 3 2007 manual (93k miles). I am using mobil1 5w20 and mobil1 oil filter.

My oil change interval is 7k5 miles. Actually, mobil1 guarantees 15k miles oil change interval but I do not believe them. 15k miles is too much for my engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OEM filter (thing is cheap!) and M1 AFE 0W-20. I'm planning to do 5k oil changes while the car is still under powertrain warranty, and then use oil analysis information to stretch oil change intervals a bit.

At $30 per oil change, it's a cheap car to maintain. That's ~$350 over 60,000 miles, or about two stealership oil changes :laugh2:

·
Registered
174 Posts
For my 2014 3S GT (2.5L Skyactive) I'm using Mobil 1 0W-20 (AFE full synthetic), and for the time being the Mazda OEM filter; just did my 1st oil & filter change of the factory oil at 2500 miles. My game plan is to do oil & filter changes every 6 months or 6000 miles, whichever comes first. For me, that typically means I hit 6 months first, at somewhere between 4500~5500 miles.

As a point of reference, I adhered to the same oil change schedule on my previous daily driver, a 2003 Mazda Protege5 (2.0L engine). Only difference is I used the 5W-30 Mobil 1 as that was the viscosity recommended in the manual, and I used the Purolator PureOne filters. That car was handed down to my son and is still running strong with 150K miles on it, and no hints of oil burning whatsoever.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
OEM filter (thing is cheap!) and M1 AFE 0W-20. I'm planning to do 5k oil changes while the car is still under powertrain warranty, and then use oil analysis information to stretch oil change intervals a bit.

At $30 per oil change, it's a cheap car to maintain. That's ~$350 over 60,000 miles, or about two stealership oil changes :laugh2:

I personally do not trust stealerships as often times they over tighten the drain plug or do not oil the filter before installation.

On top of that they do not use synthetic on their oil changes, on some parts it may not matter but in Canada 0W20 Synthetic if a must as it drops -35C or below :cry:

I will post my oil filter cut once spring comes (hopefully it does)

Also I will be pushing mine to 7 months as Canadian weather is a b*****

Thanks mods for sticky

·
Registered
249 Posts
2.5L 2014 Mazda3 here. I've tried Castrol, mobil 1 and Eneos all 0w20 with OEM Mazda filters. The mobil 1 was the worst (and the cheapest at $28 ) of all three with lower MPG and louder engine noise. I can only recommend Eneos($40 from NAPA store) and Castrol (Gold bottles from Amazon about $40 for 5qts) whichever is easier to get for you. You can definitely tell the difference between them and other cheaper products. :|

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
2.5L 2014 Mazda3 here. I've tried Castrol, mobil 1 and Eneos all 0w20 with OEM Mazda filters. The mobil 1 was the worst (and the cheapest at $28 ) of all three with lower MPG and louder engine noise. I can only recommend Eneos($40 from NAPA store) and Castrol (Gold bottles from Amazon about $40 for 5qts) whichever is easier to get for you. You can definitely tell the difference between them and other cheaper products. :|
Noise wise that is how skyactiv engine sound.
I used M1 0W20 AFE and it is extremely quiet from the inside

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jury is still out on flexible oil change interval IMO. I'm approaching 6k since reset and the thing has been stuck on 50% for weeks since I started checking it....
I'm seeing this myself and wondering what's up. I've gone a little over 6k miles since my oil change at the dealer, and I feel like the flexible monitor has been stuck at 50% forever. I've checked it a few times in the past couple weeks, but infrequently before that, so I'm not sure at what rate or at what intervals that percentage decreases.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy for first oil change after the free one at the dealership and there's just something about it I don't like. Granted I did the change in October right before a really cold winter but I feel like the fuel economy isn't where it should be. The engine has some jerky acceleration too, now that I'm about 7,000 miles into the oil. I'll be sending a sample to Blackstone when I do my oil change in the next couple of weeks and will post the results. I'm hoping to get the Mazda OE oil at a decent price and use that and the OE filter this go around and see if there's a difference in feel. The Mazda oil has great lab results compared to the other oils I've considered.

New 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil from Mazda - CleanMPG Forums

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy for first oil change after the free one at the dealership and there's just something about it I don't like. Granted I did the change in October right before a really cold winter but I feel like the fuel economy isn't where it should be. The engine has some jerky acceleration too, now that I'm about 7,000 miles into the oil.
Wow, are you me from the future? I got my first oil change at 5k miles at the dealer, and today, 7k miles later, I changed the oil using that same Mobil1. Can't see I noticed anything unusual on the drive home, at least, but I am kinda wanting to get some Mazda oil for the next time around. But that Mobil1 is just so dang cheap...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use Motul 0W20 (from Summit Racing) and K&N filter. Expensive but I prefer quality over quantity. And I do my own oil changes every 8,000 km, as per factory recommendation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
OCI: 5000 miles

OUT: M1 0w20 AFE w/ Fram Ultra XG6607
IN: M1 0w20 AFE w/ Mazda Tokyro OEM

21 - 40 of 225 Posts