2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I interchange 5w-20 for summer and 0w-20 during winter. It's changed every six months regardless of mileage. I only use conventional oil for 5 years without any issues. Look at comparison between 0W20 vs 5W20 I have skyactiv-g 1.5. I just follow what's recommended. Still runs smooth since I bought it 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 2.0L
2 Posts
Filters used for the 2018 were Wix but have shifted to Motorcraft as used in my other nine cars.

Oil used was originally 0W-20 Valvoline Full Synthetic. Just changed the oil and switched to 5W-20 Quaker State Full Synthetic. Why? The QS has one of the lowest volatility (evaporation) scores of any oil I could use on this car at 7.1 vs most others around 13. Going to 5W-20 from 0W-20 not an issue in California and besides I'm not a fan of 0W.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since I bought the car in 2014 I've been using 0w20 full synth from different brands. Mostly Mobil and Castrol. But I recently switched to Kirkland Signature full synth 0w20. In previous years I sent my oil to a lab for testing and the results were very good. I was trying to run the oil longer and then test again, but since the lab test is triple the price of the oil I decided to change it at 5K and not to worry about the testing too much. At least for now. So yes, Kirkland.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,347 Posts
Recently i came across Miller Oils . Available here in USA : Performance Racing Oils - Millers Oils Classic and Performance Products
If you are tracking your car or just enjoy aggressive driving during those warm months.
Less cost than a Motul 300V race oil and better protection. Many race teams use them.
For those wondering about the interval with this race oil (usually shorter with race oils)
Miller Oils have an additive package similar to street premium oils like OEM Mazda , castrol and Mobil.
So there race oil also has a street application interval ... Additives like ZDDP what is the right amount
and too much ZDDP increases friction. Adding Mods and how it affects viscosity. And how their nanodrive
triple ester synthetic oil works ... Explained here : https://www.millersoils.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Motorsport.pdf

Reactions: WoodinvilleDan

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
After checking again with Miller oil ..they run 5w40 CFS comp oil all year round

·
Banned
187 Posts
Mazda Oil filter. Castrol 5w-30 C2 or C3.
Mazda recommends Mazda Oil that is expensive as you would expect, but its not made by Mazda but the French, ELF oil company. They also give the option to use 0w-30, but it doesn't get that cold in Western Europe to warrant it. What is important is the C rating for diesels, otherwise you get DPF problems due to high ash content of the oil.

I wouldn't use cheap shop brands or start putting additives, but from the Major oil companies that have stood the test of time.

Mazda recommends 20k km between oil changes, I have yet to see that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll freshen the thread with my preferred combo on a 2018 GT 2.5:

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20
Fram XG7317

Why the 7317 instead if the 6607? It's longer, contains more filter media, and fits. My wife's 2016 Nissan Rogue also specs the 6607 but accepts the 7317. I also did the same for a dozen years with our former '07 Nissan Quest, where the 6607 was silly small for the big VQ35.

I've run Pennzoil Platinum in my cars for as long as its been on the market, including my '07 Mazda 3 GT 2.3, which reached 185K before I traded it for the '18. The Blackstone reports were excellent.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
With my oil cooler relocation currently using this M20 x1.25 High Flow Filter. Should fit other relocation kits

·
Registered
172 Posts
After getting a regular 17mm drain plug from mazda (replacing the OEM one that requires an allen key), I've started using a longer PurolatorONE PL14610 oil filter.Need a flex ratchet to use the oil filter wrench.
My UOA indicated I can go at least 11,000km with a Mazda oil filter with 5w20.

So using the same oil with a longer oil filter should be smooth sailing. Now all 3 of my toys use the same oil filter that I buy in a 12-pack via ebay.

·
zoom~
880 Posts
does the filter look kinda small? I remember the gen 2 filter being a tad bigger..

241 - 252 of 252 Posts