2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring Hatchback
4 Posts
What's your OCI, duration between fills, and are you relatively stock 2.0/2.5L?
Unless you're racing/forced induction/ or doing really long OCI, I don't think many regular folks can justify paying 4x the cost of 5L/1G or amazon/kirkland/pennzoil full synthetic $15 oil changes (for oil).
Sorry for late response. I put roughly 100 miles on it daily (90% highway) and spirited driving on the weekends with my car group and my OCI is every 5,000 miles (since I drive it hard). Coming from a Subaru WRX, I used Motul 8100 X-Clean EFE 5w30 in it but that was a completely different platform and the FA20DIT wasn't recommended to use as many anti-friction additives like these SkyActiv engines are "recommended" to be used. I have easy access to Motul which is one of the main reasons, however Motul doesn't provide significant anti-friction additives like Mazda's (Idemintsu ZEPRO) High Moly Oil so wanted to see if anyone was running it and their experiences on this platform. Price isn't that significant for me, would rather use top tier oils (Group V) to insure my engine has more than enough protection when cruising with turbo charged cars in my group.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Does anyone see oil consumption with any particular brand vs another? Some have lower NOACK volatility.
If you’re comparing the same spec oils (say, SN, for example) then the difference should be extremely small over the course of your oil change interval that you would struggle to measure it.

I’ve ran a bunch of different oils in mine over the course of 90k miles and it doesn’t burn a drop between changes. I used expensive oil, mid grade oil, cheap ass oil, 0w20, 5w30, 0w40 and none made any difference and my used oil analysis showed identical engine wear (perfect lubrication protection)

So I recommend you pick your favorite company and use that, or just go with whatever is on sale and call it a day. It honestly doesn’t matter, if they all meet the same API spec.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you’re comparing the same spec oils (say, SN, for example) then the difference should be extremely small over the course of your oil change interval that you would struggle to measure it.

I’ve ran a bunch of different oils in mine over the course of 90k miles and it doesn’t burn a drop between changes. I used expensive oil, mid grade oil, cheap ass oil, 0w20, 5w30, 0w40 and none made any difference and my used oil analysis showed identical engine wear (perfect lubrication protection)

So I recommend you pick your favorite company and use that, or just go with whatever is on sale and call it a day. It honestly doesn’t matter, if they all meet the same API spec.
(y)

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,347 Posts
With my 3 having over 250K Kms i switched over from Mazda oem 0w30 to the new LiquiMoly 5w30 Molygen oil. My mech said because of age/wear of internals and seals wear / drying up... use a thicker oil to compensate for loss of gap that can cause blow by. Plus with all the lube additive within Molygen practically makes it as slippery as the thinner 0w . This oil is also fluorescent green. Much easier to spot is there is leaking issues with older seals.
Oil Filter : I use the high - flow (larger filter medium to trap particles and less restrictive flow) K&N Performance Gold .
I also use the mishimoto magnetic oil plug .

Reactions: BMWWW

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,517 Posts
OEM all the way. Oil/Filter.

The weird thing is that my dealership tried to get me to use Castrol synth 0w-20? They even offered a $20 mail in rebate to use it.
CK

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
More of a sales agreement really. Castrol has or had the vendor contract to supply certain markets with oil for use in Mazda cars. I'm sure part of that contract was the brand being placed in the owners manual as OEM replacement. The dealers would also be supplied with Castrol oil for use as the default product for service.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Been using Mobil 1 for years and I can't find any reason to try another brand.
RE: Castrol/Mobil1
I use this as the basis of my recommendations:
For $15-20 Pennzoil (on sale + periodic rebate) to perform 90% that of $50-60 Amsoil, it is a no brainer for me.

He tests and evaluates Castrol/Mobil1 as well "tournament" style, those are the two best oils out there in 2020.
Gonna likely continue to run 5w20 so that at the tail end of an OCI, the 5w20 becomes closer to 0w20, whereas 0w20 will be closer to... not sure what the equivalent comparison would be.
:)

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,347 Posts
Im just keen on the Molgen oil from Liqui Moly and their additive products too

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Need your opinion folks if Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5w-30 is a good choice for 2.5 Skyactiv-G? This oil meets ACEA A5/B5 standard same as Mazda Original Oil Ultra
5w-30 for the tropics. 5w-20 for temperate. A5/B5 for Petrol, C3 for Diesel.
Use Genuine Mazda Oil Filter for Skyactiv G....specifically comes w/o ADBValve.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
5w-30 for the tropics. 5w-20 for temperate. A5/B5 for Petrol, C3 for Diesel.
Use Genuine Mazda Oil Filter for Skyactiv G....specifically comes w/o ADBValve.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
In my country temperatures could vary between -25 and +30. Most of our local dealers using either 5w-30 or 5w-40 for all cars, I've never heard that someone would use 5w-20.

221 - 240 of 252 Posts