2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
is Mazda OEM 0w20 ... Mobil one synthetic with extra molybdenum ?
I don't know this answer, but Shell Gas Truck oil is high moly as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone noticed a reduction in carbon on the intake valves using a particular brand of oil? Skactiv seem to do well on just about any brand.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Has anyone noticed a reduction in carbon on the intake valves using a particular brand of oil? Skactiv seem to do well on just about any brand.
hard question to answer as there is no real comparison or control for such an experiment. at least nothing i've seen so far.

so long as you're using a decent synthetic, i doubt it'll make much difference. best way to deal with the carbon is to rev is up hard now and then. for most of us, the carbon isn't really a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I've been debating on whether to give this a shot just out of curiosity.

·
Working Class Hero
3,548 Posts
Hot tip: OE Mazda oil w/ moly is made by Idemitsu and can be purchased off Amazon (shudder) for about 25 bucks for a 5 quart jug. Beats the hell out of 110 a case for Mazda branded oil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hot tip: OE Mazda oil w/ moly is made by Idemitsu and can be purchased off Amazon (shudder) for about 25 bucks for a 5 quart jug. Beats the hell out of 110 a case for Mazda branded oil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
this has been verified the same shit as the dealership?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I mistakenly purchased 5w-20 on my last go-around (Pennzoil Ultra), and changed it anyway. The consensus from bobistheoilguy is that it won't matter much now that it is late spring here in Canada, far from freezing temps.
Could be placebo, could be mind tricks, but I'm finding that the regular slight noise from the valves/lifters (not sure frankly) is definitely greatly reduced compared to the standard fill of 0w-20 from the same brand Pennzoil. 0w-20 with Pennzoil has always been on the "noisy" end.. 5k mile OCI, currently at 55k miles.

Accidental discovery..

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
203 Posts
I mistakenly purchased 5w-20 on my last go-around (Pennzoil Ultra), and changed it anyway. The consensus from bobistheoilguy is that it won't matter much now that it is late spring here in Canada, far from freezing temps.
Could be placebo, could be mind tricks, but I'm finding that the regular slight noise from the valves/lifters (not sure frankly) is definitely greatly reduced compared to the standard fill of 0w-20 from the same brand Pennzoil. 0w-20 with Pennzoil has always been on the "noisy" end.. 5k mile OCI, currently at 55k miles.

Accidental discovery..
I have been running liqui moly 5w-30 Molygen after i got to 200K kms (2012 2.0L non sky) , winters too. It is a bit thicker but molygen has extra lube stuff. I do run this oil with higher flowing oil filter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been running liqui moly 5w-30 Molygen after i got to 200K kms (2012 2.0L non sky) , winters too. It is a bit thicker but molygen has extra lube stuff. I do run this oil with higher flowing oil filter.
I recall you're one of the guys here that beat on the little Mazda 3 more than most, so you're definitely taking advantage of the slightly longer oil life--even towards the end of your OCI, your 5w30 is closer to the spec'd 0w-20 once it's broken down after a few thousand miles than if you had changed originally with 0w20.

After a few more days, 5w-20 is definitely a lot quieter all around. Anyone else run 5w-20 on the 2.0L skyactives? Mainly interested to see if many run it even in winter as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be running 5w-20 in the summer moving forward, and maybe even winter since the wife's car is parked underground these days in winter. I'm just shocked how much quieter the valves/lifters are using the same brand/model of oil, dead silent now at startup.

Can't wait until another 5k miles when I'll send in both the 0w-20 and 5w-20 samples to Blackstone for feedback.
PS: is there a "search this thread" feature here?

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring Hatchback
4 Posts
Curious if anyone has been running Motul 8100 ECO-Lite 0w-20 and if so, any issues?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Curious if anyone has been running Motul 8100 ECO-Lite 0w-20 and if so, any issues?
I've been interested in that oil. I've been running Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance. It's mostly PAO with a great additive package for GDI engines.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What's your OCI, duration between fills, and are you relatively stock 2.0/2.5L?
Unless you're racing/forced induction/ or doing really long OCI, I don't think many regular folks can justify paying 4x the cost of 5L/1G or amazon/kirkland/pennzoil full synthetic $15 oil changes (for oil).

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
203 Posts
What's your OCI, duration between fills, and are you relatively stock 2.0/2.5L?
Unless you're racing/forced induction/ or doing really long OCI, I don't think many regular folks can justify paying 4x the cost of 5L/1G or amazon/kirkland/pennzoil full synthetic $15 oil changes (for oil).
Im at $11 a litre with Liqui Moly Molygen oil.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts