2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am ready to do my oil change I want to use the right wrench for the filter. Is it a cap style wrench that you attach to the socket wrench?

Also my car is a lease what oil and filter would ya recommend for a budget oil change? Since it's a lease I don't wanna spend a crazy amount of money if I don't plan on keeping it. But I also want to keep my gas milliage.

And one more question, am I gonna need a special tool for removing that access panel underneath the car? And do I need a tourqe wrench for the drain plug?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
723 Posts
The oil filter "wrench" cap is about 66 or 67 mm. You can ask to try one when you buy the filter to see which fits best. Or, get one of the generic strap-type to fit.

Any of the 0-20 oils should be OK, as I've read that they all are the full-synthetic type spec from Mazda. Go to Walmart and read the label.

I believe the oil plug torque is about 25 ft lbs. Most folks don't use a torque wrench, I'm sure. Mazda recommends a new copper oil gasket under the plug for each oil change on mine, but if the old one doesn't leak I would ignore it.

The panel can be removed with a screwdriver. There are two screws and three little "pop-out" plugs on mine. I pull-out the center posts on the plugs with a flat-head screwdriver, which loosens the plugs in the hole and allows the plugs to be pulled out by hand.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Use your hand. It's super easy to remove.

Castrol 0W-20 is what they recommend in the owner's manual I believe. Go with that, isn't expensive stuff. Just make sure you keep all your receipts when buying your own oil so that the dealership can't screw you over later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Harbor freight sells a pair of locking pliars specifically for remvoving oil filters works much better than a strap in my opinion and it is universal. Like most harbor freight tools it was also easy on the wallet. I think i got it for 7 or 8 bucks. Also make sure you have an 8mm hex key or socket to remove the drain plug, its not a "normal" drain plug. Atleast ive never seen this type of drain plug before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts