2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

What type of mud flaps (Splash Guard) is everyone using?

• OEM mud flaps

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Rally Armor mud flaps

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Other, please tell what kind in a reply

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • I don't use any mud flaps on my car.

Votes: 86 46.5%
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What mud flaps is everyone using?

A few months ago I got a 2015 mazda 3 hatchback, everything on it is pretty much still stock. When driving on the roads in the winter all you hear is salt hitting the sides of the doors. So, I am looking into different kinds of mud flaps, and wanted to know opinions. I am deciding between the OEM, and rally armor, but I am open to other options. I want the coverage but I do not want it to look too far away from stock.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Rokblokz ($50 less than Rally Armor's and because they are not glossy, they do not show as much of the dust generated by flaps being so close to the pavement).

BTW, I have RA's on my WRX and they are excellent quality and do their primary job well (just not happy with the dust showing so much on their glossy finish).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I hadn't really looked much into those. I like that they are less then $100.
I heard that the gloss goes away after some time with the RA's. Have you found that to be true?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
While there is a very small amount of gloss gone on my RA's on the front side where the rock thrown by the tires impact, once cleaned up, they look good and glossy too me. I just am tired of carrying a California Duster, microfiber towels and detailers to have to clean the RA's (much more than the rest of my car). However, I have to slowly drive a mile of gravel road to get to pavement and I am sure those who live purely on paved roads have less mud flap dust than I do.

I will underscore the "super positive" of having mudflaps, that having just been through weeks of snow, ice, heavy rains and more on my gravel road, my RA's have kept 95% of the crap off the sides of my car, and when I last washed it a month ago, still did not have even one rock chip on its sides with its having many thousands of miles.

I know some feel it visual heresy, but there will be Rokblokz on my Mazda 3 right after it arrives at my house the first time. This is a fellow M3R member's damn good looking M3.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Man I just can't get used to all those sticking out so far on the edges. The oem ones just mold around the corner and look so sharp.

True delima between better protection and looks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking into the RokBlokz. Did you end up getting the normal length ones or the short ones?
If you got the regular ones, do they drag on the speed bumps?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I completely understand the need for flaps of some sort. While I don't live among gravel roads a simply put a lot of miles on my car and you just cant beat the advantages of some sort of flaps. They do make a ton of difference in preventing the debris from ponding the car. Pebbles, salt, sand, tar, and whatever else is sticking and slamming the daylights out of our cars behind the wheels.

That said I ma not a fan of the larger (non body contoured) flaps. Back in the 70's, and 80's with chrome bimpers and raised lettered tires and even into the 90's.... sure ok...but just not today. I do get those that simply have even more a need for them that its a choice between protection or not. And I too would opt for them for that reason even though not a fan.

But I do like oem's and contour to the body type of flaps much more pleasing to the eye. But I am at a crossroads with the mazda ones simply because they are just too small. I know an extra inch can even go a long way as for extra protection. But the oem's for the 3 are really almost too tiny.

I wish an aftermarket ( a tad larger) could be contoured to fit like the oems'. Its just so much better looking when they are made to fit especially when not color matched. But I suppose the larger they are, even if body contoured, the les pleasing they look.

I was at the dealer the other day and grabbed the oem's but I didn't buy them. The 2017 hatch was changed in the rear and requires a different guard. The parts rep said they were the 2017 gaurds and even rechecked the number but when I paced them on the car (just to view) the rear didn't sem to fit properly. He is going to search more today and get back to me.

About 68 bbucks for each pair (almost 140 for the set plus tax) is a lot imo for 4 pieces of 8 dollar plastic. Ridiculous but isn't everything nowadays :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rokblokz, I purchased them after reading another thread about someone asking what mud flaps they recommended and I read that these were more matte and were less likely to attract dust :p

They shipped, so I'll post a picture of them installed when i get them

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the Rokblokz! Opted for the black and not the red, and the long ones. Have noticed the doors dont get as dirty sooner than before! Made them stick out as much as I could as I like the look, and figured the wider out, the less chances of flinging things up to my car and others lol I believe they make the car look soooo much better and more of a "rally" if I can say look.:wink2:
Oh and the Flaps came with their stickers for you to add, but I liked them without:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Great pics 2016NeoHatchiS! Had never considered the regular length RB's, only the shorter ones as some others have done, but now reconsidering. Your car looks good and its sides will look good for a long time. As I have a mile of gravel to my house, definitely going to be RB's on Mazda 3. Thank you.

I sent you please, a PM with some install questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great pictures 2016NeoHatchiS!

Road Trip - I got your PM but could not reply - the system does not let me as I do not have 15 posts, yet. Do not mean to hijack the thread, but just to answer your question - my car is not lowered and it is with the short flaps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, because of what everyone has said here, I will probably be getting the Rokblokz, just have to chose the short or original length.

Shifty, I totally agree with what you said about the price of them. If the OEM ones were cheaper, I would probably be pulled more in that direction to be honest. But, they seem to be about the same sadly.

2016NeoHatchiS, great pictures!! Thank you for posting them!! Car looks in great condition! You said that you have them pulled out as far as they can be. Do you know how far in the flaps can go? and can they only be adjusted side to side, and not up and down?

Dim, no worries about hijacking the thread, all things with the mudflaps helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
and so I found the oem's on an ebay oem mazda parts store for $109 for all4. About a $30 dollar savings and is what I ordered. Yes they are rather small but even just an inch or so does go a long way in protecting vs having nothing. And as said Im just not a fan of the larger non body fitted ones which look a lot like what we used back in the 70's 80's 90's. They just seem out of place nowadays. But also as said I do agree with the need for them for those who live in places where its more of a need so Im not saying isn't something I would have also done if I had quite the same need. But I do feel I have a some need for something given the high miles I drive and the pounding the area we want to protect does take. So a tad small are the oem's imo but at least a nicer/cleaner fit and look and I will feel better having whatever amount of protection they give me vs nothing. And is what I am to do.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
If I lived/traveled totally on paved roads, I would get the Mazda OEM contoured ones.

I hope the Mazda OEM's work really well for all who travel exclusively on pavement!!!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts