2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened up my airbox to replace the filter and saw this one above it. What is it for? It seems a bit restrictive?
Product Rectangle Wood Television set Television

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in White, 2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in Black, 2007 RX-8 Sport
44 Posts
The turbos have a different one that’s smaller and just stuck to the side of the top airbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon more googling it turns out its a charcoal filter for some sort of gas. Anyways, gonna pop mine off cause why not. We don't have smog checks here.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
253 Posts
I found one of those in a mazda3 a few years ago and did the same search you did.

In the never-ending quest to prevent unburned fuel vapors from escaping (yes, the same people that brought you your un-usable gas-can spout), that charcoal filter is there to absorb any vapors that are in your intake at the moment you shut the car off and might work their way back out through the air box.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I found one of those in a mazda3 a few years ago and did the same search you did.

In the never-ending quest to prevent unburned fuel vapors from escaping (yes, the same people that brought you your un-usable gas-can spout), that charcoal filter is there to absorb any vapors that are in your intake at the moment you shut the car off and might work their way back out through the air box.
Interesting. I have noticed you can smell gas sometimes, so I'll likely be leaving this one. I did have a peformance filter from Mikstore at one point, but had to modify it to fit, so went back to factory to avoid throwing something off. Anyone find a performance drop-in yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts