2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking at my airbox and noticed there is some sort of mesh filter in the lid. Anyone know what this is and if I can remove it without affecting performance or smog?

I've been trying to add photos but this site won't let me anymore without crashing since the update.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an added fyi...just looked at my air box on my 2013 cx5 (same box and filter) but it is missing that extra filter. It is a 2.0 instead of my 2.5 but can't imagine that would make a difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have this "extra" air filter in my car as well. My thought behind it was along the lines of what you have in a vacuum cleaner. A lot of times, there is the black mesh like filter and the white paper looking one. They have both just to clean the air better as it exits the vacuum. My guess is that it is along the same lines. Just another shield to clean the air.

·
Working Class Hero
3,567 Posts
Not everyone has it, it seems. Might be a regional thing.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I changed my drop in filter for the first time today with 10.5K miles (2018 2.0L), and noticed I had that extra/ charcoal filter in there too. It's pretty thick and just feels like extra restriction for air so I removed it.

Seems like it does measurably improve performance, but nothing you can really feel.
* Go to 12:08 in the video for the final verdict.*

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts