2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a thread on this, I just spent 4 hours this weekend cleaning up my 3. The products I use:

High quality soap wash

Autoglym Polish and detailer

Mothers clay bar kit

Mothers detailer

Mothers wax

California duster (Guy from dealer recommended for the soul red cars, works great for $15. No swirls or marks)

What I'd like to know from this thread is the process you use to go from dirty to clean, what kind of products you use and if they work good and any sort of cleaning accessories you think are must haves for our cars.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1433086535.338918.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1433086558.035931.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
327 Posts
Power steamer and vacuum for the inside, outside run it through a touchless car wash. I don't have the time to wash my own car. Otherwise I take it to a detailer.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
-pre pressure wash if really dirty
-Hand wash with two buckets, two mits and wheels first or last, wash top to bottom
-Sheet the water at the end -> Dry with waffle weave towel
-Wax every few months

I recently switched to chemical guys soap. I used to use auto store products and besides Meguiars Gold Class, they all sucked. Do not ever buy wash + wax, it is the biggest waste of money since your soap just runs off the car rather than foaming and lifting dirt. I wish I had switched sooner to avoid a lot of the swirl marks that come from washing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only wash the car every other week or so. I try to touch the paint as little as possible to prevent swirls as much as possible. In between washings I will spray it off at the local car wash without touching it and just let it air dry. When I do wash it I use a Gilmour Foam Gun and highly recommend it with a high quality automotive soap. It produces a really nice foam to help pick up the dirt. I use the two bucket method with a microfiber wash mitt. When drying I use a slightly damp microfiber towel with a quick detail spray to act as lubricant. You don't want to use a completely dry microfiber towel. It won't pick up the water as well as a damp one and you run the risk of scratching or leaving swirls. I use a bright yellow towel that way it makes it easy to see if I missed any dirt and pick it up while drying, then I can fold the towel and use a clean side.

·
Registered
411 Posts
-pre pressure wash if really dirty
-Hand wash with two buckets, two mits and wheels first or last, wash top to bottom
-Sheet the water at the end -> Dry with waffle weave towel
-Wax every few months

I recently switched to chemical guys soap. I used to use auto store products and besides Meguiars Gold Class, they all sucked. Do not ever buy wash + wax, it is the biggest waste of money since your soap just runs off the car rather than foaming and lifting dirt. I wish I had switched sooner to avoid a lot of the swirl marks that come from washing.
Lots of excellent advice in there, I pretty much do it the same way. The only thing I would add is to use grit guards in the buckets, but that's it.

I also use chemical guys soaps, clay car, polishes and polishing pads. I don't like their paint protection so I use Sonax Polymer Net Shield. The stuff is awesome. The beading that it produces is awesome. I highly recommend it to anybody.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought a lot of stuff from Chemical guys and Meguiar´s.. only thing I need is time to use it :D Until that, exterior - touchless car wash; interior - Chemical Guys Nonsense and I am very satisfied with it. Fingerprints, dust is easy to clean and there is no smudges at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chemicalguys.com here as well.

Mr. Pink car wash
Hybrid V07 Quick Detail Spray
Clay Bar (Light)
Butter Wet Wax

I ALWAYS hand wash my car. Not only am I in control of making sure no swirls or scratches happen but is also my time to relax. Like a therapy at the end of a long work week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My routine is as follows:
- DIY carwash with wand soap and rinse
- 2 bucket wash in driveway with Optimum No Rinse
- Poorboys Black Hole show glaze by hand
- Poorboys EX-P Sealant by hand (every few months)

Then I have other products for the interior and the black and plastic trim on her.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
This thread hasn't been updated for a few years...

New DiY detail products on the market, which will take the edge off detailing.

Removing contaminates for a smooth/shiny newish look.

Clay - Mitt, Sponge, Towel (Synthetic Clay)
A quick rinse with water to remove contaminates
Detailing clay is use for those stubborn things like: overspray

Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic (30 day glossy finish) 2 coats 24hrs between coats
- Hydrophobic, UV
Can also be applied to glass, plastic and very forgiving (wipe on/wipe off)

IronX (spray on painted surface, wait 5 minutes)
Iron contaminates that are embedded glass/paint will dissolve into a purple streek and do not let the product dry on surface (staining)

Chemical Guys Citrus Gloss & Wash (weekly use)
Higher concentration for stripping waxes

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
500 Posts
Ive been leaning towards SONAX products

Reactions: MrBen

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Meguiars products the past 2 years on my 2018 3. I use 2 - 4 mitts depending on how dirty it is, I only use 1 bucket. I use the Gold Class soap and make sure the mitts are good and soapy. Drying I use The Rag Company micro fiber towels and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer as a drying aid.
Ultimate Paste Wax as a sealant and the Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax as a topper.
For exterior trim I use 303 aerospace which isn't glossy.
Mothers Carnauba Wax on the wheels.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
I use Meguiars products the past 2 years on my 2018 3. I use 2 - 4 mitts depending on how dirty it is, I only use 1 bucket. I use the Gold Class soap and make sure the mitts are good and soapy. Drying I use The Rag Company micro fiber towels and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer as a drying aid.
Ultimate Paste Wax as a sealant and the Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax as a topper.
For exterior trim I use 303 aerospace which isn't glossy.
Mothers Carnauba Wax on the wheels.
Thats a great combination. The advances of synthetic clay /Micro fibre poducts makes it fast'n easy. The darker coloured vehicles are very sensitive to micro scratches.
Thanks,

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Ive been leaning towards SONAX products
Yes, there's many good products on the market. I also do a snow foam pre-soak with a pressure washer, however there's a fancier co2 foam canon and it makes it more fluffy :).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts