2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2843 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New thread dedicated to the daily minutia. I installed a modiction Anvil shift knob. I also ordered a cp-e nano intake which I hope to have installed next weekend. I went with the cp-e intake because both Cobb and CS have issues I want to avoid. Cobbs intake throws a cell without an AP and their bracket breaks. The CS doesn't have a bracket so it flops around and the TIP is aluminium so it will probably heat soak. The CS isuues are minor but I went with cp-e anyway.

Reactions: N8<3

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Nice knob :001_wub:. NoHomo :tongue:.

Picked up a couple of things I've been wanting/needing for the Speed:

Hella Supertone Horns

...and:

Arkon SM310 Universal Mount

Hopefully these get here by the weekend so I can get them on/in the car.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's an enlarged schematic if you decide to use the relay. I didn't and the wires don't get hot and the fuse didn't blow even after laying on the horn for a full minute (in my garage with the door down.)

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Installed SURE shifter bushings and Magnaflow CBE over the weekend. Warlord how do you like that knob? I was considering the same in gloss black...?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I was kinda wondering about the relay...there's a lot of back and forth on whether to use it or not. I'm still kind of undecided as to what I'm going to do.

So did you just take the (+) from the stock and split it to feed the (+) of each horn? Did you do the same with the stock ground or did you ground the horn to the chassis?

·
Registered
69 Posts
New thread dedicated to the daily minutia. I installed a modiction Anvil shift knob. I also ordered a cp-e nano intake which I hope to have installed next weekend. I went with the cp-e intake because both Cobb and CS have issues I want to avoid. Cobbs intake throws a cell without an AP and their bracket breaks. The CS doesn't have a bracket so it flops around and the TIP is aluminium so it will probably heat soak. The CS isuues are minor but I went with cp-e anyway.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz153/warlord342/MS3001-2.jpg
I'm always searching for the perfect manual shift knob. I went to the Modiction web site and their shift knobs look good and are reasonably priced compared to some others that look the same. I guess my biggest question is how hot does this one get. You have humid heat and I have dry heat but hot is hot. Hope this doesn't sound kinky.:tongue:
By the way, it looks really sharp.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It gets pretty hot. I had my car parked in the bright sun on a 90 degree day for three hours. It got hot but didn't burn my hand. I was able to shift but wouldn't grip the knob tight or leave my hand on there for more time than it took to shift. I don't know what the alternative would be, maybe delrin? The weight (1lb.) is what makes this knob worthwhile. Shifts are a lot smoother and quicker due to the shortened height and higher weight. Also you can't feel any machining grooves in it. The finish is super smooth but not slippery. Hey, maybe there's somebody that sells a leather ball sack that you can slip over it when the car is parked in the sun. LOL IDK!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, delrin stays cool to the touch but very light in weight. Have to give it some thought, but the smoother and lower shifting sounds good. And it looks classy. I'll pass on the leather ball sack idea (gross, how about a jock strap? lol ) but maybe a sock or something like that would work to leave on it when parked.

·
Registered
598 Posts
nice new thread.

I got the CPE cai after having 3 different intakes on my car.. it was my favorite.

Reactions: warlord

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
What other intakes why didn't you like em?

·
Registered
598 Posts
sorry.. 3 including the cp-e

First CS second fujita f5 cai

CS, just seemed like I was lacking the "pull".. don't know if it was heat soak with the metal inlet, or that is was a short ram. maybe it was in my head, but the torque didn't seem to be there like it was before. good for the money, but I wasn't totally sold on the quality either. Really nice maf housing though... biast toward cai too..

The F5 cai didn't have an air straightener and pipe at the sensor it isn't exactly the same size as the factory air box. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm also slightly ocd... air filter is exceptional though. seriously beautiful.

CP-E made me really happy. quality, straightener, proper diameter at maf, rest is 3", filter rides a little higher.

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
I ordered a cs couple weeks ago hopefully I like it when I finally get it but the cs racepipe that I have should make up for some of the lost torque if any

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was kinda wondering about the relay...there's a lot of back and forth on whether to use it or not. I'm still kind of undecided as to what I'm going to do.

So did you just take the (+) from the stock and split it to feed the (+) of each horn? yes Did you do the same with the stock groundmounting bolt is the ground for the stock horn or did you ground the horn to the chassis? grounded them to the mounting bracket
Crude diagram of how I wired the horns.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not today but Saturday, installed the TWM short shifter assembly, tranny adapter and heavy knob :tongue:. Radical change over JBR SSP (although this was a great mod), shifter assembly now seems much more rigid. Throw is as short as it can be and is taking some adjustment. I might need to tweak the counter weight and throw soon but for now I like. Instructions from TMW were perfect, I had a small issue with the shifter mounts self locking nuts but it worked it self out.

Have a couple tweaks for Friday, let you know about them at that time. Planning on taking it to David Gieger, this guy is great, for some wrenching that is easier with a lift. He knows the MS3 and has corrected several things on my car, he also does custom fabrication if needed. While it is up, plan on changing out the tranny oil and see how bad some of the FMIC piping is rubbing on the OCC hoses.

DO Meth is showing up today, but this is a future project, I will start on the mounting brackets shortly though.

Z

·
Registered
596 Posts
Crude diagram of how I wired the horns.
I did use the relay, not a big deal, used the wire from the horn to pull the coil and grounded to the relay mounting screw, wire off bat + thru a fuse, thru the coil contacts and to the horns, grounded the horns to the mounting bracket. Thought I saw where warlord posted up the wiring thru the relay. Oversized the hell out of the wire for bending purposes. I will probably redo this with the addition of the meth kit, need to pull the bumper again and sketch something out.

Z

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wired up the horns with the relay as a test. When I found that the volume was was the same without the relay I went with the simpler cleaner looking non- relay install.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wired up the horns with the relay as a test. When I found that the volume was was the same without the relay I went with the simpler cleaner looking non- relay install.
I might have to do this when I start in on the Meth kit, I have plenty of wire, connectors and wire ties.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
@WarlordThanks! Very helpful!

@ZPrice I really like the idea of a full short shifter swap as opposed to just the adapter plate but damn if that shit isn't a bit pricey! Looks to be very high quality though and you do get what you pay for.

@ZPrice...I know you're ultimately going for the BT build but how have all the current mods and extra power/torque you're making affected drivability? Notice any added "stress" on the stock clutch?

·
Registered
596 Posts
@ZPrice I really like the idea of a full short shifter swap as opposed to just the adapter plate but damn if that shit isn't a bit pricey! Looks to be very high quality though and you do get what you pay for.
Yes, I have put this off for some time, feeling the flex in the stock shifter is what finally did it for me. It is expensive, finally had the cash set back and did it.

@ZPrice...I know you're ultimately going for the BT build but how have all the current mods and extra power/torque you're making affected drivability? Notice any added "stress" on the stock clutch?
We all know the clutch is a POS, after the Meth kit is installed and a have a tune (mine, David Gieger or Cobb), my next major purchase will be a replacement clutch. I don't hammer this car as most do, I am still young and my insurance is sky high so I only get on it every once and awhile. Last time I got after it, it was 90 in a 55 and I still have 20 hours of community service for this to go away. On the big turbo issue, the guy who does alot of my work has discussed this (great guy, knows these engines well), he will probably do this custom for me, he can also tune, bonus, but this is sometime from now.

Z

·
Registered
598 Posts
I ordered a cs couple weeks ago hopefully I like it when I finally get it but the cs racepipe that I have should make up for some of the lost torque if any
I know plenty of people that have installed it and love it. Tinker being one of them. :)

I just had a bad experience with cs... I'm also very picky. just my experience with them, I recommend everyone chalks up their own opinion and doesn't listen to me too much. :stuart:

1 - 20 of 2843 Posts