2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

2021 - 2040 of 2057 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I picked up the steering wheel from a junk yard with the steering column for $65.

Went back home and took off the leather steering and junked the rest of the column.
Oh, brilliant. Never thought of that. I was going to get one of those custom cut leather covers and stitch it on myself. I'll have to call the local yard to see if he has any 3rd generations.

Oh yeah, and I picked up my roof rack from the dealer after work last night. Maybe put it on tomorrow night since tonight could be the final game of the Stanley Cup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed leather steering wheel, dual screen dash, leather shift knob and silver climate control knobs.

Where did you get the shift knob if you don't mind me asking? Mine is missing the chrome piece and looks ugly lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed Corksport Solid Shifter Bushings & LED replacement kit today, Looking to change out the rear motor mount for e-focus one or something else and planned mods are axleback exhaust and SRI possibly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2013 Mazda 3 Skyactiv oil change

Why, oh, why, doesn't Mazda get with the program and install the oil filter on the front topside of the engine. Lifting the car or driving onto ramps just to do an oil change? What year is this?

8mm hex key in oil drain plug? Why does Mazda love allen or hex heads so much? What a pain in the butt.

Of course the oil changer was straightforward but I had to go out to an auto parts store to get a new filter. The Mazda dealer gave me filters on the non-skyactiv version of the engine.

Absolutely hate the drivers seat in this car. I have to find some kind of fix for it or my back will implode.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Why, oh, why, doesn't Mazda get with the program and install the oil filter on the front topside of the engine. Lifting the car or driving onto ramps just to do an oil change? What year is this?

8mm hex key in oil drain plug? Why does Mazda love allen or hex heads so much? What a pain in the butt.

Of course the oil changer was straightforward but I had to go out to an auto parts store to get a new filter. The Mazda dealer gave me filters on the non-skyactiv version of the engine.

Absolutely hate the drivers seat in this car. I have to find some kind of fix for it or my back will implode.
your biggest complaint is about hex keys and the location of the oil filter? really? oil filters on the bottom of the block work better since the oil naturally wants to sink down it will flow naturally down instead of having to be pumped through the filter via the oil pump at least they used hex keys and not Philips heads that strip out or round off and I have seen tons of the top mount cartridge filter housings break as they are just plastic and very brittle you have to go under the car to remove the drain bolt to drain the oil anyhow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
your biggest complaint is about hex keys and the location of the oil filter? really? oil filters on the bottom of the block work better since the oil naturally wants to sink down it will flow naturally down instead of having to be pumped through the filter via the oil pump at least they used hex keys and not Philips heads that strip out or round off and I have seen tons of the top mount cartridge filter housings break as they are just plastic and very brittle you have to go under the car to remove the drain bolt to drain the oil anyhow.
kms1990 : My biggest complaint is the seat, really. I have many complaints about the way Mazda has chosen to design things apart from the "norm". I owned a 2002 Protege which corroded down to a pile of rust in my driveway.

I bought the car and I love the way it performs but the seat is a deal breaker for me. If I don't find a fix, the car has to go.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
kms1990 : My biggest complaint is the seat, really. I have many complaints about the way Mazda has chosen to design things apart from the "norm". I owned a 2002 Protege which corroded down to a pile of rust in my driveway.

I bought the car and I love the way it performs but the seat is a deal breaker for me. If I don't find a fix, the car has to go.
I had an 03 protégé 5 myself it was a texas car its whole life and never had any rust I got hit in a roundabout guy blew a yield sign and it totaled it at 176k miles it was a great little car. do you have the basic or leather seats? in my old 11 I had the leather heated ones and like you the where not supportive enough in the lower back especially since I do a good bit of driving for work, I traded my 11 mazda 3 in on an 11 xterra mainly due to needing the room for transporting equipment for work and wanting a more comfortable higher sitting ride in traffic. but I must say the less sporty flat and more truck like bucket seats in the xterra are way more supportive especially in the middle and lower back and the bottom is flat and wide so give a ton of room to find your spot. I think mazda just chose poor bolstering amounts and positions in this generation as I had an 08 3 that had the fabric seats and they where way more comfortable than the 11s where especially as the drive gets over 30 minutes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had an 03 protégé 5 myself it was a texas car its whole life and never had any rust I got hit in a roundabout guy blew a yield sign and it totaled it at 176k miles it was a great little car. do you have the basic or leather seats? in my old 11 I had the leather heated ones and like you the where not supportive enough in the lower back especially since I do a good bit of driving for work, I traded my 11 mazda 3 in on an 11 xterra mainly due to needing the room for transporting equipment for work and wanting a more comfortable higher sitting ride in traffic. but I must say the less sporty flat and more truck like bucket seats in the xterra are way more supportive especially in the middle and lower back and the bottom is flat and wide so give a ton of room to find your spot. I think mazda just chose poor bolstering amounts and positions in this generation as I had an 08 3 that had the fabric seats and they where way more comfortable than the 11s where especially as the drive gets over 30 minutes.
Thanks, kms1990. Yes I do have the leather seats and they are painful. I bought the 2013 Mazda 3 used so that's what it came with. I would hate to change out the seat to fabric just for that. I guess it would be easy enough assuming all the seat airbags function the same way.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Try Backjoy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Thanks, kms1990. Yes I do have the leather seats and they are painful. I bought the 2013 Mazda 3 used so that's what it came with. I would hate to change out the seat to fabric just for that. I guess it would be easy enough assuming all the seat airbags function the same way.
keep the leather one and just find a fabric one and swap just the driver's seat and if/when you go to sell or get rid of it just swap the leather one back in, but like you said assuming the wiring and airbags all are copacetic

·
Registered
10 Posts
This wasn't today, but in the past 13 days, I drove my '16 3 i-Touring hatch from Nashville to the Grand Canyon, to Tucson, AZ. Did my first track day on the stock 600 tread-wear tires, then brought it back home to Nashville. I messed my alignment up a little bit on the track, but I'm just shy of 50,000 miles now on the factory tires. So a wheel/tire upgrade comes in the near future along with the alignment.

I did finally tint the windows the other day!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
This wasn't today, but in the past 13 days, I drove my '16 3 i-Touring hatch from Nashville to the Grand Canyon, to Tucson, AZ. Did my first track day on the stock 600 tread-wear tires, then brought it back home to Nashville. I messed my alignment up a little bit on the track, but I'm just shy of 50,000 miles now on the factory tires. So a wheel/tire upgrade comes in the near future along with the alignment.

I did finally tint the windows the other day!
you got 50k out of oem tires from mazda? wow my dad's 14 6 has under 40k and his dunlops are almost bald!

2021 - 2040 of 2057 Posts