2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

3821 - 3833 of 3833 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Very nice! How was the install? Any performance bumps? I keep putting it off but it's on my list.
It was a fun learning experience! Check out the more detailed thread: Did a Big 3 Upgrade

So far it's a tossup regarding performance bump. I've only driven the car once since I did the upgrade, and I actually logged a lower average voltage!
I'm wondering if it's because the weather is ~30 degrees (F) warmer than the last time I logged pre-upgrade voltages, or if the alternator just doesn't have to work as hard to fill current demands, or both as alternator output is a function of ambient temperature.

I'm still getting great fuel economy and I really think my audio system sounds better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haven't jumped in on the forum in a while - new job/moving and all that stuff, but here's Marie hanging near the beach last year (although still on the old stock Dunlops). She rocks a set of Bridgestone s-04 Pole Positions now and she's all about those canyon roads.

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
Installed the UR exhaust. I’m glad I went with this one. Not a fart can but just enough to sound nice. I was seriously considering RB, which would have been a disappointment, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't been disappointed with my RB. Like all of their exhausts (I've had 3), after a few thousand miles of break in they really mellow out. I didn't want to hear the system at steady throttle (cruising speed) and I don't with RB. My only complaint (and it looks like your UR is the same) is they should have used 3.5" double wall outlets instead of the 4" single wall. To my eye, they are just a little too large for the back of the car and the look is a bit cheesy.

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
My only complaint (and it looks like your UR is the same) is they should have used 3.5" double wall outlets instead of the 4" single wall. To my eye, they are just a little too large for the back of the car and the look is a bit cheesy.
The UR has tip options other than the straight cut single wall. There is a rolled tip, which looks like a double wall. There are also a couple options not listed such as blued titanium tips but you need to call them for availability, and they drive the cost up considerably......

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
I haven't been disappointed with my RB. Like all of their exhausts (I've had 3), after a few thousand miles of break in they really mellow out. I didn't want to hear the system at steady throttle (cruising speed) and I don't with RB. My only complaint (and it looks like your UR is the same) is they should have used 3.5" double wall outlets instead of the 4" single wall. To my eye, they are just a little too large for the back of the car and the look is a bit cheesy.
From the videos on youtube, RB sounds almost stock. If it’s better in person on cold starts and acceleration, then even better. If I somehow get tired of UR, I’ll consider RB.

·
Registered
203 Posts
From the videos on youtube, RB sounds almost stock. If it’s better in person on cold starts and acceleration, then even better. If I somehow get tired of UR, I’ll consider RB.
The thing about RB is that, having worked closely with Mazda for may years, they tend to stay far away from the "ricer" sound. They make products for the "mature" enthusiast.

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
Took off the front lip. Was busted a bit. Wanted a cleaner look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, three of the wheels came last Friday, but apparently they split up the shipment and the last one finally arrived today. I installed the Progress rear sway bar and Racing Beat springs last weekend without any issues and then finally got the new wheels and tires on today. 18x8 +40 Enkei EKM3s with 225/45R18 Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4s. I am slightly regretting this wheel choice as it is heavier than what was advertised (close to 48lbs per corner). I think it looks pretty great, but I will be returning them.

View attachment 278428
View attachment 278429
Funny enough I went with the exact same wheels for mine. Chose the 17's though
20201122_164216.jpg

3821 - 3833 of 3833 Posts