2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

3681 - 3700 of 3715 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback
19 Posts
Installed the hood insulator and did some detail work with graphene coating

Also wrapped interior parts with vinyl and installed cx3 chrome tipped driver side switches.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Installed the hood insulator and did some detail work with graphene coating

Also wrapped interior parts with vinyl and installed cx3 chrome tipped driver side switches.
Looks great! Where in the world did you score the hood insulator? One suggestion: loose the front license plate mounting plate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks great! Where in the world did you score the hood insulator? One suggestion: loose the front license plate mounting plate.
I ordered them from my local parts dept, they should all be in the US catalog. The "protectors" are the 2 large black squares at the outer edges and you need 10 of the fasteners.

Sadly I'm in NJ and we require front plate, I just haven't put mine on yet but it's only a matter of time lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered them from my local parts dept, they should all be in the US catalog.

Sadly I'm in NJ and we require front plate, I just haven't put mine on yet but it's only a matter of time lol.

I haven’t put my front plate on haven’t been stopped for it yet, but I keep it in my trunk just in case lol it makes the front end look so much nicer without a plate. Idk why jersey requires it

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ordered them from my local parts dept, they should all be in the US catalog. The "protectors" are the 2 large black squares at the outer edges and you need 10 of the fasteners.

WOW; that is absolutely a new thing! When I got mine in Feb of last year I looked everywhere for one with no success. I could not believe Mazda cut corners like that on US cars when the hood was obviously designed to accept an insulator like every other Mazda model (including the CX-5 I sold to get into this one). Thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
WOW; that is absolutely a new thing! When I got mine in Feb of last year I looked everywhere for one with no success. I could not believe Mazda cut corners like that on US cars when the hood was obviously designed to accept an insulator like every other Mazda model (including the CX-5 I sold to get into this one). Thanks for the lead!
Not just the US. Other markets also have variants w/o the bonnet insulator.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Working Class Hero
3,596 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts

So Darin, I'm trying to get my head around why these part numbers do not show up in any kind of search for an insulator and associated parts for a gen 3 Mazda 3. I can find the parts all right, but in no way are they associated with a 3. Did your parts guy just happen to know they would fit a 3? What is the purpose of the "insulator protector" block thingies? I'm reluctant to order withouot knowing exactly what I'm doing as I don't have a Mazda dealer in town any more :cry:, so I have to order online. Can you clarify?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So Darin, I'm trying to get my head around why these part numbers do not show up in any kind of search for an insulator and associated parts for a gen 3 Mazda 3. I can find the parts all right, but in no way are they associated with a 3. Did your parts guy just happen to know they would fit a 3? What is the purpose of the "insulator protector" block thingies? I'm reluctant to order withouot knowing exactly what I'm doing as I don't have a Mazda dealer in town any more :cry:, so I have to order online. Can you clarify?
I saw a post on the forum here that listed all the parts and just ordered them based on that post. Not sure where exactly I saw it, but I know it was on here. In terms of the blocks I'm really not too sure what they do to be honest lol. I don't think they contact anything but they clip right into place and must have some reason to be there. I figured for the extra $4-5 they were worth throwing them in with my order.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Post #90 and 96 is where I got the info.

-Edit-

Here is a parts catalog which shows the insulator as equipment in 2014+ Mazda3 for Europe:
Catalog Link

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is a parts catalog which shows the insulator as equipment in 2014+ Mazda3 for Europe: Well you managed to find the verification that I couldn't! Thanks for that. I just ordered all the parts (as well as an oil change kit to help amortize the shipping costs) from Mazdastuff.com in Texas.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One of the guys at Mazdastuff.com called back when he saw my order come through online. Wanted to make sure I knew what I was ordering because he had no idea what that hood insulator fit. Only that there were a few in the US parts system which were not listed in his parts catalog. I thanked him for his concern and told him I had done my due diligence and "think" I know what I'm doing. Told him it was a $50 gamble that I was willing to take!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the guys at Mazdastuff.com called back when he saw my order come through online. Wanted to make sure I knew what I was ordering because he had no idea what that hood insulator fit. Only that there were a few in the US parts system which were not listed in his parts catalog. I thanked him for his concern and told him I had done my due diligence and "think" I know what I'm doing. Told him it was a $50 gamble that I was willing to take!:rolleyes:
Gotta love how even the retailers aren't sure about the insulator lol. You'll definitely be happy with the result, nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Darin: Final question! Any idea what the raised portion (bump) of the liner on the driver's side just behind the leading edge is for? It's barely visible in your photo, but I've noticed it on other pics and there's nothing on the underside of my hood in that area that would need any clearance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Darin: Final question! Any idea what the raised portion (bump) of the liner on the driver's side just behind the leading edge is for? It's barely visible in your photo, but I've noticed it on other pics and there's nothing on the underside of my hood in that area that would need any clearance.
I have no idea on that. Since the insulator is used on both gasoline and diesel engines in Europe it might have something to do with the diesel variant in terms of sound deadening or air flow or clearing something. It doesn't interfere with anything in my engine bay though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
darin180sx,
Thanks for sharing your midification, and its parts list. Is the engine sound (or any other sound) noticably muted after installing this kit?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3681 - 3700 of 3715 Posts