2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

3621 - 3638 of 3638 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had to run something up to a friend in Olympia, Washington which is about a 250-mile round trip from my house. On the way up I did between 70 and 75 mph but the traffic was heavy enough that it wasn't fun so on the way back, I decided to drive for efficiency instead. That meant camping in the right lane unless absolutely necessary with the cruise set at 65 mph. For the round trip I averaged 38.4 MPG and the slower ride back returned 41.5 MPG!

Color me impressed with this car once more...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been mostly focusing on interior mods since I bought my sGT hatchback a month ago. The piano black trim recolor comes courtesy of Rustoleum and about a week's worth of increasingly frustrating paintings, re-paintings, and in some cases re-re-paintings. I'm very satisfied with the end result though.

Fun Fact: These pictures were taken in an unassuming school parking lot in my girlfriend's hometown of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and the house seen through the windshield in the first photo was originally built and owned by none other than auto racing legend Mario Andretti! I was actually unaware of this until my girlfriend saw the picture and mentioned it (she attended the school whose lot I was parked in). The Andretti family's current estate is actually just up the road from her grandparents' house. A couple of years back, when I first starting dating her and frequenting the area, I got a bit of a shock when we ended up next to Michael Andretti in his Lamborghini at a traffic light.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been mostly focusing on interior mods since I bought my sGT hatchback a month ago. The piano black trim recolor comes courtesy of Rustoleum and about a week's worth of increasingly frustrating paintings, re-paintings, and in some cases re-re-paintings. I'm very satisfied with the end result though.

Fun Fact: These pictures were taken in an unassuming school parking lot in my girlfriend's hometown of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and the house seen through the windshield in the first photo was originally built and owned by none other than auto racing legend Mario Andretti! I was actually unaware of this until my girlfriend saw the picture and mentioned it (she attended the school whose lot I was parked in). The Andretti family's current estate is actually just up the road from her grandparents' house. A couple of years back when I first starting dating her and frequenting the area, I got a bit of a shock when we ended up next to Michael Andretti in his Lamborghini at a traffic light.

View attachment 277556

View attachment 277557
Nice work on the interior trim! Is the steering wheel covered in Alcantara? You've given me some ideas for a future project.
Great back story, too. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice work on the interior trim! Is the steering wheel covered in Alcantara? You've given me some ideas for a future project.
Great back story, too. Thanks for sharing.
The steering wheel cover is just suede. The material on the wheel underneath was really worn down when I bought the car and made my palms sweat easily, so I happily settled for whatever grippy material I could get for a reasonable price. I got it off of dhgate.com which is sort of like Aliexpress. The quality of the material seems okay but the stiching was uneven in several spots which made getting a snug fit very difficult. I'm hoping it's reasonably durable because I'd really like to avoid doing another installation any time soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you share any photos/tips/tricks/lessons learned, esp. regarding trim removal?
This video by Greg F. Pettus was the biggest overall help to me for removing the trim pieces.

This video, and to a lesser extent this video were helpful for steering wheel disassembly.

Besides steering wheel disassembly which requires a lot of patience, the doors were the only trim part I struggled with to any significant degree. The white plastic pegs holding in the door panels are mildly annoying to deal with since when you remove the interior panel, some will stay in the metal doorframe. Your best bet is to gently yank out the whole door panel and then use a screwdriver or similar tool to pry out the pegs that stayed in the doorframe and then set them up in the corresponding spots in the interior panel for when you re-install it.

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
Two years after buying it, took it for an alignment check. Everything is still in and doesn't need another alignment. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This video by Greg F. Pettus was the biggest overall help to me for removing the trim pieces.

This video, and to a lesser extent this video were helpful for steering wheel disassembly.

Besides steering wheel disassembly which requires a lot of patience, the doors were the only trim part I struggled with to any significant degree. The white plastic pegs holding in the door panels are mildly annoying to deal with since when you remove the interior panel, some will stay in the metal doorframe. Your best bet is to gently yank out the whole door panel and then use a screwdriver or similar tool to pry out the pegs that stayed in the doorframe and then set them up in the corresponding spots in the interior panel for when you re-install it.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts

Fun Fact: These pictures were taken in an unassuming school parking lot in my girlfriend's hometown of Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and the house seen through the windshield in the first photo was originally built and owned by none other than auto racing legend Mario Andretti! I was actually unaware of this until my girlfriend saw the picture and mentioned it (she attended the school whose lot I was parked in). The Andretti family's current estate is actually just up the road from her grandparents' house. A couple of years back, when I first starting dating her and frequenting the area, I got a bit of a shock when we ended up next to Michael Andretti in his Lamborghini at a traffic light.

View attachment 277556

View attachment 277557
What floor mats do you have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What floor mats do you have?
Husky Weather Beaters.

A good chunk cheaper and less slippery than WeatherTech, and their flexibility makes them easier to remove for cleaning. All three of those three factors were really important to me, but particularly the last since I'm a part time rideshare driver and they'll need to be cleaned somewhat frequently.

·
Registered
75 Posts

View attachment 277556

View attachment 277557
How did you get that custom background on your Infotainment screen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
How did you get that custom background on your Infotainment screen?
I edited a graphic I found online, and set it up as my background using AIO Tweaks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm.. I’ll have to check out AIO tweaks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A friend asked if I wanted to tag along to one of the Pick N Pull wrecking yards in this area as his family's Dodge conversion van needed a new passenger side mirror and door buzzer. While we struck out on the mirror, he was able to score a pair of functioning door buzzers but just as we were about to leave, I saw a 1996 Buick Park Avenue that appeared to be a fresh arrival and mostly untouched. I raised the hood and lo and behold, all four of the legendary GM four-note horns were still in place. Twenty minutes and a pair of greasy hands later and they were free. I need to test them but I'm hopeful I'll be putting them into my 3 very soon. Stay tuned!

Cadillac Horns by Andrew, on Flickr

3621 - 3638 of 3638 Posts