2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

3541 - 3553 of 3553 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed a Racing Beat muffler today. Very simple straight forward. It would have only taken me about 30 minutes if I didn't get carried away waxing and treating all the suspension. LOL

The sound is very subtle and only wakes up if I get into the throttle. This is what I was looking for....no gains in anything just a little more curb idle sound to give the performance impression.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Installed a Racing Beat muffler today. Very simple straight forward. It would have only taken me about 30 minutes if I didn't get carried away waxing and treating all the suspension. LOL

The sound is very subtle and only wakes up if I get into the throttle. This is what I was looking for....no gains in anything just a little more curb idle sound to give the performance impression.
I have the same on my 2018 GT hatch. Third RB muffler I've had (two on previous MX-5s). Quality product without the "ricer" sound. I do wish they had used smaller (3.5") diameter tips and that they were rolled/double wall like they used to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting design modification for sedan. I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense since you don't have the cutouts on the rear valance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting design modification for sedan. I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense since you don't have the cutouts on the rear valance.
I liked the illusion of some people seeing my Mazda thinking it was an electric car because you could not really see the stock tail pipes. But when you get the modding fever ...well you know what i am talking about.

Oh while I was changing out the muffler I did do a little polishing...... :sneaky:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Today I installed a new set of wheels and tires: BBS SR Anthracite painted, 18x8 ET50 fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 235/40ZR18. Compared to factory stock: 18x7 ET50 fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 5000, 215/45R18 M+S. Zero change in scrub radius, -3 lb./corner, +3 rev/mile.

Out with the old:
IMG_20200125_093834125_HDR.jpg
In with the new:
IMG_20200216_090940970.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow! That's a lotta coin to sink into a 3. Hope you notice a big improvement over the stock setup. I would imagine the tires will be the biggest improvement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live where the ambient temperature rarely drops below 45°F, so I have no need for all season tires and can run summer tires year 'round. I'd recently modified the suspension with Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Koni Special Application dampers, so installing performance tires was the next logical step. And, why not increase the footprint (within reason) while I was at it?

I chose the wheels and tires very carefully, keeping a square setup that most nearly matches the stock geometry without requiring spacers. I'm very happy with the resulting fitment. Needless to say, both the ride quality and increased grip level are improved significantly over stock. As you stated, tires are the biggest contributor to these characteristics.

Surprisingly, Tire Rack doesn't list this fitment, and so they made me accept liability for any issues regarding mis-fitment (especially regarding the oh-so-slightly smaller tire diameter). I intend to inform them that this is a "slam dunk" that they should add as an optional fitment.

One side note: These BBS wheels use unique lug nuts that have a 19-mm hex in contrast to the factory's 17-mm. So I need to carry a spare set of factory lug nuts for the spare tire, and a 19-mm lug wrench to remove the BBS wheel, in case of a flat tire.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3541 - 3553 of 3553 Posts