2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reinstalled my son's manual transmission into the engine after replacing the clutch. Working off the floor I could not muscle it in - so, I got it lined up and used the bolts to pull it in. It went in pretty easily.

Then I read in the Chilton's manual that using the bolts to pull it in is a bad idea. Does anyone know what problem(s) this could cause?

Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Maybe alignment? I've got a Triumph TR6 that needs three alignment dowels to be screwed in before the gearbox is fitted and bolted up.

Wonder why Chilton's did not give the reason?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,274 Posts
I've reinstalled my son's manual transmission into the engine after replacing the clutch. Working off the floor I could not muscle it in - so, I got it lined up and used the bolts to pull it in. It went in pretty easily.

Then I read in the Chilton's manual that using the bolts to pull it in is a bad idea. Does anyone know what problem(s) this could cause?

Thanks!
stripping/cross threading

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Factory Service Manual doesn't say anything about this. Here is the only note regarding putting the manual transmission back into place. The SST mentioned here is the hoist/brace used to hold the engine up while the tranny is out.

Hmmm, I can't attach the picture because it is over the max allowed (0kB - that's a small picture!).

Here is a cut-n-paste of the text.

Manual Transaxle Installation Note Warning
• Install the transaxle carefully, holding it steady. If the transaxle falls it could be damaged or cause injury.
1. Set the transaxle on a jack and lift into place.
2. Install the transaxle mounting bolts.
3. Adjust the SST (49 CO17 5AO) so that the engine is located at the specified position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input. I feel better now. Was not looking forward to putting it all back together (in the NH cold) and then finding out I'd be needing to pull it apart again to fix something else.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Only caution I could find in the manual was this:
Transaxle Installation Note

CAUTION:

Verify that the torque converter stud bolts are inserted into the drive plate bolt holes, and install the transaxle installation bolts. Otherwise, the drive plate could be damaged.

1. Verify that the torque converter stud bolts are inserted into the drive plate bolt holes from the starter installation hole.

2. Install the transaxle mounting bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Followup - no damage was done. The bolts pulled in the transmission just fine. I was working on my back on the floor with a jack under the engine and an engine hoist around the transmission. I could not muscle the tranny fully into the crank splines. By getting it all lined up as best I could, I slowly moved from bolt to bolt tightening each a bit at a time, taking care that nothing was cross-threaded. The tranny pulled in pretty smoothly. I also wiggled the flywheel with a small pry bar to make sure there was a little movement and the splines were lining up. Thank you all for your help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts