2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you are willing to buy a BMW, I suggest the 230i starting MSRP at $37,900 for the all wheel drive. It is a 2 door coupe.
230i xDrive Coupe
2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
248 HP
30 MPG
5.2 sec 0-60 MPH
That's the exact car I almost got.

·
Registered
289 Posts
About every other station has it in the south. Often Walmart premium is non-ethanol. Regardless of how new the cars are or steps taken to minimize damage it’s still more damaging to internals because it’s hygroscopic. I avoid it altogether in any vehicle built in Japan, for reasons I already mentioned. BTW, I had to replace both fuel pumps on my Mz3 at only 43k miles... that was damage caused by ethanol. The inside of the filters were pretty bad.
All good to know, thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having bought a 2019 M3, I'd wait until year three of production so they work the bugs out. That puts it about 4-5 years out. Don't think I want to wait that long.
I agree. Its why I will get a 2021 or 2022 Mazda 3. Never buy a first year model car, especially with all the tech in cars now.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
126 Posts
In the Midwest USA, you can't find gas that doesn't have ethanol.
Have you tried the “pure gas” app? I’ve worked in Missouri and Kansas never really had a problem finding it. It’s more difficult to find than E-10, mind you but I didn’t do bad.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you tried the “pure gas” app? I’ve worked in Missouri and Kansas never really had a problem finding it. It’s more difficult to find than E-10, mind you but I didn’t do bad.
Didn't know about that. I just looked and there are no stations in the entire Chicago metropolitan area (where I live) with "pure gas." I think that's because of the EPA standards for winter/summer fuel in this area that basically requires ethanol to meet the regulations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I read that right the wait will be less than a 1 yr and a few months. It's the CX5 successor I will be interested in. Dare we buy until the second year of production?
From what I hear 2022 it will be coming out. Brand new engine, transmissions and electronics. Maybe 2nd year. I'm leaning toward 3rd or 4th year. Going to lease a Mazda 3 as my daily till they've worked out all the kinks and keep my IS300 as my mistress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from a 2004 Jaguar X-Type (227hp, AWD standard), I'm a tad bit disappointed with my 2019 Mazda3 AWD Premium. I'm already looking to my next car. My requirements are as follows:

1. 200+ hp
2. AWD
3. Approximate M3 size
4. Price < $50,000

There aren't a huge number of cars to pick from in this category. The list I can think of is as follows:

1. Lexis IS
2. Kia Stinger
3. Genesis G70
4. Cadillac CT4
5. Mercedes C/CLA
6. Audi A4
7. BMW 3 Series
8. Infinity Q50

For those of you who are similarly disappointed in their M3, what car are you thinking about next?
Have you thought about the 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo? It is available in a sedan or hatchback. It has a very nice interior, isgetting great reviews. Personally though, I'm probably going with a Hyundai Veloster N, because it is available with a manual, and it will replace my 2013 Mazda 3 Skyactiv hatch, manual of course. Oh, the new 3 Turbo is AWD, too. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Build quality....rattles, software bugs, recalls, etc.
Handling...."bouncy" rear, relatively slow steering

From what I've read, the WRX is a little too primitive for my taste.
Mazda must have gone downhill with the newer model. I have the '18 and no rattles, recalls, or software bugs. Steering is responsive and spot on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mazda must have gone downhill with the newer model. I have the '18 and no rattles, recalls, or software bugs. Steering is responsive and spot on.
Yes in some ways I think they have or at least did go downhill. The first year for gen4 (2019 which clipm4u had) was the worst for quality and reliability, but things seem to improve as it goes along. Getting rid of CD was big help
. Yours being an 18, it was probably the best of gen 3 with 4 years for debugging and incremental improvement. Except for noise from various sources, it was a pretty darn good car.
My 20 has no rattles ( after getting a dash rattle taken care of) , no recalls, no other unscheduled dealer visits.
I suspect 2021 will be better yet. Thinking of upgrading to a turbo with no concern about a lack of quality.

Steering response. Yeah, I really hate that they slowed down the steering ratio. I was hoping with all the complaints they would correct that sad error before now.
All things considered, with it's superior noise isolation, sound system, beautifully finished interior and safety systems, there is no way I would consider my gen 3 a better car than my gen 4. And now 250 horse awd turbos can be had for less than 30k... Yeah boy!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a late 2019 Mazda3 Preferred AWD and have no rattles, steering is responsive and spot on. Compared to my prior 2015, I would say the 4th generation is far more refined. It lost some of the sportiness of the 3rd generation replaced with a quieter more luxury ride. While I preferred the 3rd generation, the 4th generation is higher quality in my opinion.

I did have one recall but I consider a recall a sign of a company that stands behind their product.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I did have one recall but I consider a recall a sign of a company that stands behind their product.
A recall is a sign that the federal regulators required (or would have required) them to make a fix. TSBs are at the option of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A recall is a sign that the federal regulators required (or would have required) them to make a fix. TSBs are at the option of the manufacturer.
Apparently most recalls are initiated by the manufacturers these days:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree and was lumping TSBs in with recalls.

Mazda, in my opinion, fixes problems when they find them and makes improvements available to customers. (The upgrade to the remote app retroactive to include my 2019 Mazda3 is an example.) I compare Mazda to Ford who hid the known problem of the dry dual clutch transmission and Volkswagen with their diesel fiasco. Ford knew there was a problem with the transmission before it was first released. Their engineers refused to drive them. They said it was not a safety problem since when the transmission failed while on the highway, the car could coast to the side of the road - no safety problem. I will take a company with a dozen recalls for a first year product over one that has none (without a perfect reliability record).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Mazda, in my opinion, fixes problems when they find them and makes improvements available to customers. (The upgrade to the remote app retroactive to include my 2019 Mazda3 is an example.)
I have a different take on that. To me it's quite clear that the 2019 M3 was not really ready for sale when they shipped it without the MazdaConnect "remote app." No hardware had to be added or changed to get that functionality. They just had to finish writing the software and download it to the 2019 models, showing that that's what they had intended all along. Unfortunately, the software was not ready for the 2019 M3, only the 2020. It should have been ready for the 2019, but they were in a rush to get the car to market, so they shipped it without the software.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a different take on that. To me it's quite clear that the 2019 M3 was not really ready for sale when they shipped it without the MazdaConnect "remote app." No hardware had to be added or changed to get that functionality. They just had to finish writing the software and download it to the 2019 models, showing that that's what they had intended all along. Unfortunately, the software was not ready for the 2019 M3, only the 2020. It should have been ready for the 2019, but they were in a rush to get the car to market, so they shipped it without the software.
I think that's SOP though. For instance, the Turbo has what it takes to do wireless AA and Carplay, but for now we have to use a $100 dongle. It's a lot easier to roll out a feature with a software rather than hardware update, so I think they often times install hardware that won't be activated until some future time. The control knob is another example as I believe its face is a touchscreen on the gen4s.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is there some evidence of this?
Doesn't look like a touchscreen.
Perhaps you meant touch sensitive control for the display screen?
I have also seen on the forum that some think it is a touchpad. It would be a huge improvement if we could spell addresses instead of spinning the wheel.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts