2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
Bah, I use premium non-ethanol in my Mazda 3. 馃ぃ. I suggest using it in any Japanese vehicle. Or any vehicle at all that isn鈥檛 Flex-Fuel, so I don鈥檛 even consider that when buying a car. I actually PREFER it that the manufacturer recommends Premium. That probably means the tuning is geared more towards performance. But if you take in to account the reduction in repair and maintenance costs on a Lexus vs just about anything else you鈥檝e mentioned owning or considering owning, there鈥檚 no question imo that the Lexus is the far superior choice.

Registered
I'll do premium at Costco, and I like having the option of doing so, but if it took ONLY premium I may have hesitated to pull the trigger. It feels like a rip-off at some stations where it's 50 cents more (than Costco premium) per gallon. Or wholly unnecessary for road trips. As for repair costs, that's another factor when considering CPO or upmarket brands if you get something used that's no longer under warranty. In the event that something expensive does fail or break, you're on your own, so to speak.

Registered
So far the 2022 G70 is keeping the same 2.0L engine. Genesis hasn't announced the 2.5T engine for the US version of the G70 yet.
It is expect to come in a year or two. The GV70 and GV80 already have it. I think that will be a solid engine choice for the G70 since its the smallest and lighter than the Kia Stinger.

Registered
The one thing that I don't like about the IS is that they recommend premium gasoline. It killed me that I had to use premium with my Jag (it cost a fortune every time I filled the car up) and one of the few things I really like about the M3 (including the turbo) is that you can use regular gas in it.

I know, you're saying he spent so much on the Jag, why does he care about the gas? I don't mind spending money on the purchase, but I hate spending the extra money on gas, insurance, and to a certain extent, premium maintenance costs (and I seriously adhere to preventative maintenance on cars...which is why I can keep them for 15 years). Can I afford the extra...probably. Do I want to afford the extra...not really.
I understand the whole premium thing. I own a 2003 Lexus IS300 with the inline 6. Problem is if you want performance you typically have to put in premium gas with the luxury marques.

Registered
OP, what exactly did you mean by build quality? Do you mean issues (e.g. HVAC issues , cylinder deactivation, etc.), or how well the car is screws together (e.g. panel gaps), or materials (e.g. more premium leather like nappa, softer/nicer feeling plastics, etc.)? If it's the former two, perhaps your experience may be first year car issues given you have a 2019 -- the 2021 turbo may "fix" it if you happy with everything else.

Re handling, do you mean suspension stiffness, bolt roll, steering speed? What exactly are you looking for? The BP Mazda 3 is very German-like and "luxury"-esque, so not sure if the other cars on the list will give drastic changes in feel.

Depending on what you're looking for, what about the Subaru WRX? 200+ AWD and sporty, BUT cabin will probably feel a step back on terms of material/feel/design.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Registered
OP, what exactly did you mean by build quality? Do you mean issues (e.g. HVAC issues , cylinder deactivation, etc.), or how well the car is screws together (e.g. panel gaps), or materials (e.g. more premium leather like nappa, softer/nicer feeling plastics, etc.)? If it's the former two, perhaps your experience may be first year car issues given you have a 2019 -- the 2021 turbo may "fix" it if you happy with everything else.

Re handling, do you mean suspension stiffness, bolt roll, steering speed? What exactly are you looking for? The BP Mazda 3 is very German-like and "luxury"-esque, so not sure if the other cars on the list will give drastic changes in feel.

Depending on what you're looking for, what about the Subaru WRX? 200+ AWD and sporty, BUT cabin will probably feel a step back on terms of material/feel/design.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
I think he鈥檚 going for more luxury than that, but the legacy isn鈥檛 a terrible choice. The 6cyl boxer engines in the wrx aren鈥檛 super reliable but they are decently so. Their 4cyl engines are better. But the engine in the legacy is supposedly much better than both. Idk, I鈥檝e never owned a Subaru. Just going off of what my friends that own them say.

Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
Discussion Starter #27

Build quality....rattles, software bugs, recalls, etc.
Handling...."bouncy" rear, relatively slow steering

From what I've read, the WRX is a little too primitive for my taste.

Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
Discussion Starter #28
I think he鈥檚 going for more luxury than that, but the legacy isn鈥檛 a terrible choice.
I thought about the Legacy, but it's too big for my inner city neighborhood. Otherwise, I'd go for the large engine version of that. For that matter, I could go for a AWD Camry, but who wants to drive one of those?

Registered
Build quality....rattles, software bugs, recalls, etc.
Handling...."bouncy" rear, relatively slow steering

From what I've read, the WRX is a little too primitive for my taste.
I think that's fair. I sometimes miss my Golf which I feared might become a reliability timebomb at some point but it addressed some of the issues you stated above. I think it was more fun to drive and took bumps with more grace. Very good build quality, solid door slam. This was the 170 hp version no longer available. Not exactly stylish though, and a bit noisier, but not objectionably so. My wife likes the 3 better because of the lovely red/ black leather interior and dynamite sound system.

Golf R is not on your list?

Registered
I鈥檓
7 sp dual clutch automatic.
I can鈥檛 be the only person that knows how terrible the German dual-clutch transmissions are, can I? I wouldn鈥檛 buy a VW built in the last 20 years AT LEAST and if I was given one today I would trade it immediately before it broke. As a matter of fact, I would probably tow it because it depreciates not even by the mile but by the foot. Geez. If you get anything German new in the USA lease it and write it off as a company vehicle. Otherwise, no way. Over-engineered and under-built. Of course, this is my opinion and it鈥檚 all anecdotal but I don鈥檛 know anyone at all that owns a German car and likes it that isn鈥檛 a mechanic or a professional driver with a sponsored car.

Registered
Older VW cars had issues, new ones are fine. I've had zero issues with my S3. With that budget you have a ton of options.

Registered
I'll do premium at Costco, and I like having the option of doing so, but if it took ONLY premium I may have hesitated to pull the trigger. It feels like a rip-off at some stations where it's 50 cents more (than Costco premium) per gallon. Or wholly unnecessary for road trips. As for repair costs, that's another factor when considering CPO or upmarket brands if you get something used that's no longer under warranty. In the event that something expensive does fail or break, you're on your own, so to speak.
I think all Costco has ethanol? I'll spend extra to avoid ethanol

Registered
If you are willing to buy a BMW, I suggest the 230i starting MSRP at $37,900 for the all wheel drive. It is a 2 door coupe.
230i xDrive Coupe
2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
248 HP
30 MPG
5.2 sec 0-60 MPH

Registered
No sure. Just reading up about downsides of gas with added ethanol. Doesn't seem to be an issue with newer cars. What station(s) uses ethanol-free gas?
About every other station has it in the south. Often Walmart premium is non-ethanol. Regardless of how new the cars are or steps taken to minimize damage it鈥檚 still more damaging to internals because it鈥檚 hygroscopic. I avoid it altogether in any vehicle built in Japan, for reasons I already mentioned. BTW, I had to replace both fuel pumps on my Mz3 at only 43k miles... that was damage caused by ethanol. The inside of the filters were pretty bad.

Registered
About every other station has it in the south. Often Walmart premium is non-ethanol. Regardless of how new the cars are or steps taken to minimize damage it鈥檚 still more damaging to internals because it鈥檚 hygroscopic. I avoid it altogether in any vehicle built in Japan, for reasons I already mentioned. BTW, I had to replace both fuel pumps on my Mz3 at only 43k miles... that was damage caused by ethanol. The inside of the filters were pretty bad.
I also agree that ethanol free is better gasoline and for me it gives me better fuel mileage. 5mpg more in my Harley, not as much in my vehicles. But, having said that, I usually run 87 octane Costco gas with ethanol in my 2006 Mazda3 and have had no problems for 14 plus years.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts