2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a 2004 Jaguar X-Type (227hp, AWD standard), I'm a tad bit disappointed with my 2019 Mazda3 AWD Premium. I'm already looking to my next car. My requirements are as follows:

1. 200+ hp
2. AWD
3. Approximate M3 size
4. Price < $50,000

There aren't a huge number of cars to pick from in this category. The list I can think of is as follows:

1. Lexis IS
2. Kia Stinger
3. Genesis G70
4. Cadillac CT4
5. Mercedes C/CLA
6. Audi A4
7. BMW 3 Series
8. Infinity Q50

For those of you who are similarly disappointed in their M3, what car are you thinking about next?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Coming from a 2004 Jaguar X-Type (227hp, AWD standard), I'm a tad bit disappointed with my 2019 Mazda3 AWD Premium. I'm already looking to my next car. My requirements are as follows:

1. 200+ hp
2. AWD
3. Approximate M3 size
4. Price < $50,000

There aren't a huge number of cars to pick from in this category. The list I can think of is as follows:

1. Lexis IS
2. Kia Stinger
3. Genesis G70
4. Cadillac CT4
5. Mercedes C/CLA
6. Audi A4
7. BMW 3 Series
8. Infinity Q50

For those of you who are similarly disappointed in their M3, what car are you thinking about next?
Depends on what you are disappointed about. For example, if it's "just" power and everything else is ok, there's also the Mazda 3 turbo.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what you are disappointed about. For example, if it's "just" power and everything else is ok, there's also the Mazda 3 turbo.
I guess I'm most disappointed by the marginal build quality, handling, and lack of power (alas, me seeking +200hp). But you are correct. I should have added the M3 Turbo to the list.

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
Honestly, I'd go with Infiniti Q50. Nice looking car, inside and out. Not a weird style. Luxurious enough while having a good kick under the hood. I am a fan of Hyundai and Kia, and currently own a Palisade; however, from my experience, they use cheaper quality materials. Go with Japanese if you can.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
I agree. You should look to addressing the areas of disappointment you had with the 3 and try not blunder into new ones with the replacement . Your list indicates you do not mind spending considerably more which should make it easier. If you are interested in the Cad, BMW or Stinger, depreciation must not be a concern of yours either as further evidenced by your having owned a Jag.

Forced to choose from your list, I would pick the A4 though to outperform the $30k 250 hp Mazda turbo Sedan you would need the A4 45 with 261 hp at $46,000 rather than the 40 with 201 hp for $40,000. Probably better cars, but that is quite a price leap.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. You should look to addressing the areas of disappointment you had with the 3 and try not blunder into new ones with the replacement . Your list indicates you do not mind spending considerably more which should make it easier. If you are interested in the Cad, BMW or Stinger, depreciation must not be a concern of yours either as further evidenced by your having owned a Jag.

Forced to choose from your list, I would pick the A4 though to outperform the $30k 250 hp Mazda turbo Sedan you would need the A4 45 with 261 hp at $46,000 rather than the 40 with 201 hp for $40,000. Probably better cars, but that is quite a price leap.
The list of possibilities was every car that meets the requirements list. Availability of AWD is generally the thing that separates those on the list from everyone else. I wouldn't say that I don't mind depreciation, but I tend to keep my cars until they die (alas a 15 year old Jag), so big upfront depreciation doesn't really bother to me. Frankly, high insurance bills bother me more than the depreciation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The list of possibilities was every car that meets the requirements list. Availability of AWD is generally the thing that separates those on the list from everyone else. I wouldn't say that I don't mind depreciation, but I tend to keep my cars until they die (alas a 15 year old Jag), so big upfront depreciation doesn't really bother to me. Frankly, high insurance bills bother me more than the depreciation.
Have you considered CPO? A 50k budget with a lightly used one year old CPO would get you a lot more bang for the buck. You'd also be able to get into the higher trims in the German vechiles. More power, more luxury. The bottom half of German trims look nice but they still have plenty of plastic and leather with no padding under it. I've rented a Mercedes C class on Turo and was not impressed. Sure it had more power and looked fancier but something as simple as the arm rests not being passed as much and the seats being uncomfortable on a long drive kinda ruined it for me. I'm sure a higher trim with the nicer leather would ease those quality/build concerns.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you considered CPO? A 50k budget with a lightly used one year old CPO would get you a lot more bang for the buck.
Absolutely. That's kind of my thinking now since I'll be getting rid of this and eating the huge depreciation that will go with getting rid of it so soon. I might as well let someone else eat the depreciation on my next car.

·
Registered
297 Posts
From someone who went from a 2015 Mazda3 GT hatch, to a Stinger GT, and now back in a Mazda3 Turbo sedan, my vote is for the Turbo.

·
Registered
65 Posts

1. 200+ hp
2. AWD
3. Approximate M3 size
4. Price < $50,000

1. Lexis IS
2. Kia Stinger
3. Genesis G70
4. Cadillac CT4
5. Mercedes C/CLA
6. Audi A4
7. BMW 3 Series
8. Infinity Q50

I'd drop anything German off that list for lack of reliability and expensive to maintain. The Infiniti will be discontinued in 2-3 years as it will turn into a Nissan Plus getting rid of the RWD platform its on meaning less support for parts down the road. The Kia Stinger is also going to be discontinued in 2-3 years as well. I'd say the IS300 AWD(not much faster than a Mazda 3 because it weighs 3850lbs) or IS350AWD if you want more power. Genesis G70 is eventually going to come out with a 2.5 turbo with nearly 300 HP. The V6 is a beast in that engine. Also, might want to consider the new Mazda 6 in 3-4 years since it will have an inline 6. Will be bigger in size but still a good car to drive.

I think the problem is a lot of small sports sedans aren't being made anymore. The Japanese are ceding it to the Germans for the most part.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd drop anything German off that list for lack of reliability and expensive to maintain. The Infiniti will be discontinued in 2-3 years as it will turn into a Nissan Plus getting rid of the RWD platform its on meaning less support for parts down the road. The Kia Stinger is also going to be discontinued in 2-3 years as well. I'd say the IS300 AWD(not much faster than a Mazda 3 because it weighs 3850lbs) or IS350AWD if you want more power. Genesis G70 is eventually going to come out with a 2.5 turbo with nearly 300 HP. The V6 is a beast in that engine. Also, might want to consider the new Mazda 6 in 3-4 years since it will have an inline 6. Will be bigger in size but still a good car to drive.

I think the problem is a lot of small sports sedans aren't being made anymore. The Japanese are ceding it to the Germans for the most part.
One more thing. The engine in the IS300AWD and IS350AWD is built in large numbers and will have support down the road for 5-10 years. Its probably bullet proof at this point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The GS 350 with it's v6 is pretty sweet. Turbos have their place but I like more of the old school linear surge of power delivery. Mazda's turbo is one of those engines I don't find distracting with how the turbo delivers power. That said, a good old school v6 is always better imo even if it's not necessarily faster off the line as a turbo, it'll catch up quick to most non 'sports' cars. Before the 2019 Mazda 3, I test drove the Lexus GS 350 F sport and Mercedes E class from the 2010-2014 era (forgot which models but it was one of the base models with a V6). The quiet, comfortable, relaxed, driving style with all the power when you ask for it! It's still engrained in me today.

Edit: Lexus GS 350

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
129 Posts
I would personally choose the Lexus IS. I bought my Mazda to have something nice and fun to drive for work, but that I won’t feel heartbroken if it’s totaled. That sounds bad, but the 3’s are really just a quality/price/efficiency balance car for me. But yeah, out of that list I wouldn’t even consider anything BUT the Lexus, which amazingly would be my first choice, period, not even considering your list. You may be able to afford to get your car repaired often, but it’s a pain. I wouldn’t even touch a Cadillac or an Infinity. GM is even more trash now than it used to be. Nissan quality now is simply not what it used to be, especially the Jatco transmissions. Audi and BMW you will likely spend more time in a loaner car than you want, unless you import a bunch of parts from Germany. The Genesis MAYBE because the Koreans have really stepped it up in the last several years. The Kia may be alright but I still can’t take the Korean “sport” cars seriously yet, idk maybe that’s just me. But Lexus, man that’s where it’s at. Beautiful car, reliable, quick, great handling. Someone talked me out of my 2012 IS350 and I’ve regretted it ever since. But, considering he’s a friend of mine that loves it as much as I do but with me driving 5,000 miles a month she’s better off in his care. 😢

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From someone who went from a 2015 Mazda3 GT hatch, to a Stinger GT, and now back in a Mazda3 Turbo sedan, my vote is for the Turbo.
What didn't you like about the Stinger? I was seriously debating getting it with the smaller engine when I was looking to replace my Jag.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would consider the Mazda3 turbo and the 2022 Genesis G70.
So far the 2022 G70 is keeping the same 2.0L engine. Genesis hasn't announced the 2.5T engine for the US version of the G70 yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What didn't you like about the Stinger? I was seriously debating getting it with the smaller engine when I was looking to replace my Jag.
It felt cursed, but most of the problems were somewhat minor. First gen issues probably. TCU had to be reset due to jerky shifting into 1st gear. The A/S replacements I installed when the summers wore out at 20k made the ride feel sloshy. The extra space was nice, but I had curb rash on all 4 rims since I've been driving compacts most of my life. The 365 HP of the GT was nice to have (and fun!) but not really necessary for the most part. The Turbo sedan is only 1/2 a second slower I think at 5.6. All in all a fairly nice ride with good build quality. Most of my problems resulted from the roof rack I used to carry my bike. I won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The engine in the IS300AWD and IS350AWD is built in large numbers and will have support down the road for 5-10 years. Its probably bullet proof at this point.
The one thing that I don't like about the IS is that they recommend premium gasoline. It killed me that I had to use premium with my Jag (it cost a fortune every time I filled the car up) and one of the few things I really like about the M3 (including the turbo) is that you can use regular gas in it.

I know, you're saying he spent so much on the Jag, why does he care about the gas? I don't mind spending money on the purchase, but I hate spending the extra money on gas, insurance, and to a certain extent, premium maintenance costs (and I seriously adhere to preventative maintenance on cars...which is why I can keep them for 15 years). Can I afford the extra...probably. Do I want to afford the extra...not really.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The one thing that I don't like about the IS is that they recommend premium gasoline. It killed me that I had to use premium with my Jag (it cost a fortune every time I filled the car up) and one of the few things I really like about the M3 (including the turbo) is that you can use regular gas in it.

I know, you're saying he spent so much on the Jag, why does he care about the gas? I don't mind spending money on the purchase, but I hate spending the extra money on gas, insurance, and to a certain extent, premium maintenance costs (and I seriously adhere to preventative maintenance on cars...which is why I can keep them for 15 years). Can I afford the extra...probably. Do I want to afford the extra...not really.
I didn't think that, mostly because I feel the same way. For instance, right after replacing the summers with Michelin Pilot Sports, I gashed the sidewall on my front tire and had to replace it for $200. Plus the dealership wanted to charge me $130 for an oil change. Oh yea, the dealership. That's a whole 'nother issue. Like even their wifi connection was shit, but they couldn't be arsed to fix it for folks waiting on their cars. Oh, and if you have a GT with no nav or SD card? No way to update the firmware. Ask the dealer if they can do it from their end? Crickets.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts