2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie to the mod/performance adjustment area of cars and I want to do something to my bonestock silver 2013 Mazda 3 sedan. Im currently saving up for Black wheels and more than likely gonna add a spoiler (not a ricer wang!) Its a modest but smooth addition that is at a decent price. But I have no clue as too what to add internally, I hear people say I should add an intake and/or an air filter while I have others saying I shouldn't because the stock parts are better. Like almost every newbie I am indeed a student on an afterschool job kinda scenario so any advice is helpful.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am guessing that as a 2013 it could be any one of three engines... but 'cuz there is no Skyactiv graphics it is the 148 hp 2.0 litre engine? Also, no mega header out back... so not Skyactiv...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what Im presuming when I googled searched the engine types availble in 2013 and saw mine wasn't a 2.5 L or Skyactiv

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that what entails with such a engine/internals then yeah I guess. Has great acceleration though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not to say it wouldn't respond to the mechanical go-fast stuff... but as it is not a turbocar the value quotient... hp or torque gained versus $ spent would be poor. My advice... make it look a little meaner, add a bit of exhaust noise (carefully: no droning!), and just enjoy it. Sorry, I will get incinerated here - but if it's an auto trans car - DON'T add a noisier exhaust... YMMV; I have my preferences in that regard. Oh, last thing is that adding exhaust may ever-so-lightly REDUCE performance (lowers torque at low rpm). I just like the sound...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I did hear about those mods causing negative effects on performance. Granted it is my first car and college is around the corner, I just was interested it seeing if there was any affordable way to possibly make it more than just an exterior look of "Hey this is my car." But I think Ill just wait in terms of internal performance when I get a car with real opportunity to be upgraded and when I also have a real paying job too lol cause my afterschool job is not gonna be able to finance much more than visuals/exterior. Thanks for the insight, glad I could join the community.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good decision not doing anything. After you get a real job and all debts are paid off, then go for a real fun car. I wouldn't bother touching mazda 3 to be a "fast car".
If you want speed, you can get whatever that makes 350hp+ and you'll be happy. Want to be a skilled driver? Start from mx-5 or 86/BRZ platform.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts