2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prestige Spectra PhotoSync, Huper Optik, 3M, LLumar, SunTek, Madico, etc?

dyed film, metalized film, Nano-ceramic, crystalline etc?

limo, 60, 50, 40 30, etc?

and why?

Which looks best on 5-door, on sedan?

does it look better to match front and rear window tint?

or does it look better to match back three windows with a darker tint and a lighter on for the front windows(how much are you willing risk a ticket?)

Anyone do a Mazda 3 windshield?? There are a few very light tints(ex crystalline 80) that may still be illegal, are not known to be noticed by cops.

I am making my final decision and want to know what fellow Mazda 3 owners think is best before I before I get it done.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Llumar is very clear, tends to be less "distorted" if you will. Having metallic flakes in tint is very common, seems to work very well. Ceramic tint helps block heat more than metallic. Solar Guard is another good brand that comes to mind.

35% looks real nice all around. I like it where it takes some effect for people to look inside the car so 15%-20% is where I like it. As much as I like the look of the 5%, it's a bit hard for me to see outside at night.

I have also done my front windshield, 70% ceramic to help block off some heat and it's pretty clear for the most part, hardly noticeable day and night.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I went with 35% all around. American Standard Window Film Excel Series. They have 30% also and I probably would have went with that if I knew they had 30% at the time. I feel my 35% is light but I am happy as I didn't want it too dark and be a magnet for cops. I live in NJ and no tint by law is legal on the front windows or windshield. I also put a strip on the windshield.

Attachments

Reactions: srice15

· Registered
14 Posts
I went with 3M Color Stable 35% and am happy with it. I was worried about it being too dark for night visibility, but it is just about right. I would not want to go any darker. One thing to keep in mind is that the tint will appear darker from the outside with a black interior vs a light colored interior.

Make sure you compare the hue of the films you are considering. Some have a slight red or bronze tint and some have a slight blue or green tint. I thought I wanted the 3M Crystalline until I saw that it had a bronze hue that didn't look that good on my white 3. I find the Color Stable to be pretty neutral (maybe slightly on the blue side). One thing that sold me on 3M was the lifetime warranty, but I'm sure there are other films that offer this.

I definitely think it looks better to tint all windows the same.

· Registered
2,000 Posts
I am using photosync, best tint I've used hands down. And I've tried all the big brands before. This film blocks more heat than huper optic, pinnacle f1 tint, and right up there with the vkool 40% but lot less reflective. Right now I have 75% on windshield and 45% all around. Didn't want to go super dark this time. However, 45% was a bit light so added another layer of 50% on top so it comes out to 22% or something like that. Photosync tint has a slight blue hue to it tho. Also using 60% huper optic on my sunroof. IMO having all windows match looks better, I never liked the uneven look haha

Here's the windshield tinted 75% (I had llumar air blue 80 before, but this one blocks more heat)

45% all around

45% plus 50% on top of it

Great tint, but super expensive :( In the end tho, it was worth it to me. During the 90-100% weather we had, you barely feel heat coming from the side windows hitting your arms. Photosync tint also gets slightly darker in the sun, from 45% to 35% supposedly, but I say it only drops maybe 5% or so, and the heat rejection goes up a bit too. This was the only reason I wanted to try this tint lol

· Registered
752 Posts
Suntek CXP "carbon ceramic" %35 front %20 rear with a %20 visor. because legal in my state.

Reactions: BULLDOG00

· Registered
117 Posts
Got Sun-Gard High Performance metallic 35% on my windows and a 5% strip across the top of the windshield. I drive east in the morning and west in the evening so that extra shading is really nice.

The cops should leave me alone. If they fuss about the windshield it would be easy to tear it off and then redo it after inspection. The cops in MD will indeed hassle people for darker than legal tint. I know somebody who just got a ticket for his 20% all around tinting. 35% is fine for me. Solar heat is no longer a bother and I can still see out reasonably well in the dark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.