2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 3 Sport 2.0 Automatic
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know CCA and RC for the OEM battery for the 2016 Mazda 3 sedan auto, Sport, No I-eloop, no I-stop. The installed battery on my car is 725 CCA which seems excessive for a small late model engine like this.

The owners manual just says 12v 60 AH/20HR. So at least I know it is 60AH.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this photo on the internet which seems like the factory OEM originally installed Battery. The 356 CCA seems more reasonable than the 725 CCA I have now. Does anyone knows if this is the battery that the car originally came with?

Motor vehicle Office equipment Telephone Telephony Computer hardware

·
Super Moderator
6,849 Posts
No such thing as "excessive" CCA. More is always better. Your car should have a group size 35 battery in it. CCA is not part of the battery spec. I believe the OEM battery is something like 525. 356 might not even start the car if its really cold outside even if the battery is new......FWIW my lawn tractor has a 330CCA battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No such thing as "excessive" CCA. More is always better. Your car should have a group size 35 battery in it. CCA is not part of the battery spec. I believe the OEM battery is something like 525. 356 might not even start the car if its really cold outside even if the battery is new......FWIW my lawn tractor has a 330CCA battery.
This is what I am trying to find out. How many CCA the Mazda 3 came originally. My CRV is 410, Prius 325, Lexus 450. The Mazda CCA is a well hidden secret at all sites but 356 CCA I see on the photo above is not far from other models. My 725 CCA battery is group 24F so the previous owner changed the group 35 Original battery.

·
Super Moderator
6,849 Posts
My car has an OEM group size 35 Panasonic 55D23L battery. CCA isn't listed on the battery but that battery is supposed to be rated at 540 CCA.
As long as its working, there is nothing wrong with the battery you have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One concern with the high CCA oversized battery is that it could cause the alternator to run at higher temperatures and shorten its life.

Truth is that no alternator damage occurred yet using the 725 CCA battery for 3 years now. Plus this morning at 10 degrees the car started after cranking just under 2 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
6,849 Posts
One concern with the high CCA oversized battery is that it could cause the alternator to run at higher temperatures and shorten its life.
Uh, what? Never heard anybody make that claim. CCA ratings have nothing to do with the alternator. Its a measure of power output capability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
6,849 Posts
Batteries don't "pull amps" from the alternator. The alternator sends a charging current to the battery according to its output capacity and the state of charge of the battery. All it does is charge the battery as needed. It doesn't care how many CCA the battery can provide, nor does it cause any extra wear.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Batteries don't "pull amps" from the alternator. The alternator sends a charging current to the battery according to its output capacity and the state of charge of the battery. All it does is charge the battery as needed. It doesn't care how many CCA the battery can provide, nor does it cause any extra wear.
Yep and it could even be argued that a large battery evens out peak loads on an alternator and extends the charging system life.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Does anyone know CCA and RC for the OEM battery for the 2016 Mazda 3 sedan auto, Sport, No I-eloop, no I-stop. The installed battery on my car is 725 CCA which seems excessive for a small late model engine like this.

The owners manual just says 12v 60 AH/20HR. So at least I know it is 60AH.
I think the oem was 550, sounds like you are in a cold state and the original owner changed it out for cold state effect. It's common practice in cold states to swap out the battery with something bigger to handle the cold winter mornings a bit better. If it's working well, leave it alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts