2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to snag my black iGT/MT pretty much off the truck so the dealer's detailers haven't had a chance to touch it (YET).

I'm considering detailing it myself to seal the paint right from the get-go. The factory paint looks "good enough" (not looking to go obsessive-compulsive over this) but I'd like to go for the "dipped in glass" look for this car since black doesn't show off the car's curves enough (IMO)

From my brief research on the topic, the steps I think I will need to perform are

1. wash
2. clay
then

3. seal (eg. klasse AIO)
4. glaze (eg klasse sealant glaze)
5. wax (optional)

OR
try something like
3. 22PLE glass coating
4. wax

Thoughts? I'm not sure I'd trust myself with a buffer on a new car (inexperienced) so whatever I do will be hand detailing only. To that end, ease of use is important.

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I had my Black BMW M3 this is what I did,

Semi Annual Full Detail
PC 7424 XP
Chemical Guys Hex Logic 5.5” Pads
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna PO85RD
Chemical Guys Vertua Bond 408
JetSeal 109
5050 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax

1. Wash Car
2. Clay bar Car
3. Tape trim areas on the Car
4. Polish trouble spots on car with Menzerna PO203 (White Pad/Orange Pad if necessary) 4.5
5. Polish entire car with Menzerna PO85RD (Blue Pad) 4.5
6. Apply to entire car Vertua Bond 408 (Black Pad) 3.5
7. Apply to entire car JETseal109 (Red Pad) 3.5
8. Apply 5050 Concours Paste Wax to entire car (Red Pad By Hand)
9. Quick Detail any spots as necessary

Quarterly Detail
1. Wash Car
2. Apply 50/50 Concours Paste Wax to entire car
3. Quick Detail any spots as necessary

A bit overboard perhaps.. probably won't be doing it to my Mazda 3 in that much detail, but still have all the compounds, the random orbital and pads so will make a scaled down version.. Just not enough time to do all of that twice a year. Literally takes a whole day.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
I managed to snag my black iGT/MT pretty much off the truck so the dealer's detailers haven't had a chance to touch it (YET).

I'm considering detailing it myself to seal the paint right from the get-go. The factory paint looks "good enough" (not looking to go obsessive-compulsive over this) but I'd like to go for the "dipped in glass" look for this car since black doesn't show off the car's curves enough (IMO)

From my brief research on the topic, the steps I think I will need to perform are

1. wash
2. clay
then

3. seal (eg. klasse AIO)
4. glaze (eg klasse sealant glaze)
5. wax (optional)

OR
try something like
3. 22PLE glass coating
4. wax

Thoughts? I'm not sure I'd trust myself with a buffer on a new car (inexperienced) so whatever I do will be hand detailing only. To that end, ease of use is important.

Thanks
1. Wash - Meguairs gold class
2. Clay bar - Meguairs clay kit
3. Polisher - Klasse AIO
4. Sealant - Klasse SG

I never used a buffer myself (not a pro in that department) and all my previous black cars have looked very good, very minimal swirls were visible.

My regular maintenance schedule is:

1. Wash (2 bucket method with grit guard and foam gun) *Never in the sun of course
2. Dry with microfiber waffle weave towels

For a full detail:

1. Wash (2 bucket method with grit guard and foam gun)
2. Clay bar (soapy method) *do not drop the clay...if you do toss it out.
3. Re-wash to remove clay residue, just an extra measure.
4. Polish with Klasse AIO
5. Seal with Klasse SG

Tips:
*You can also use Klasse on the windows, headlights and taillights. (during a hard rain, I don't even need to use my wipers...the water just beads away with the wind)

*Quick detailing is key to keeping the car looking good between washes/details...but if it looks to dirty skip the QD....might do more harm than good. This is only good for light dust, anything more needs a wash.

*Never go to the car wash (even touchless) or let the dealer touch your car...you take care of the paint.

*Keep a bottle of QD and mf cloths in the car for emergencies...specifically bird bombs.

*When washing the car, gently wipe with with a lifting motion side to side, not circular motions to avoid swirls showing up. Lubrication is key....hence why I love the foam gun.

*Stay away from silicone based dressings for your tires, dashboard, etc.

*You can get the boutique brands for car care products but Meguairs and Mothers have treated me well, never had an issue with them and they are readily available.

^Not a Mazda but this was my previous car...Civic Si. Direct sun shot...you can see the swirls in the door. This was after the dealer washed my car (I left a note on the steering wheel specifically saying do not wash the car and also told the service advisor)....Needless to say I was pissed and raised hell.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: vgb

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered some 22PLE . Let's see what happens. Should be interesting, one way or another. I'll post my findings to this thread.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had my Black BMW M3 this is what I did,

Semi Annual Full Detail
PC 7424 XP
Chemical Guys Hex Logic 5.5” Pads
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna PO85RD
Chemical Guys Vertua Bond 408
JetSeal 109
5050 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax

1. Wash Car
2. Clay bar Car
3. Tape trim areas on the Car
4. Polish trouble spots on car with Menzerna PO203 (White Pad/Orange Pad if necessary) 4.5
5. Polish entire car with Menzerna PO85RD (Blue Pad) 4.5
6. Apply to entire car Vertua Bond 408 (Black Pad) 3.5
7. Apply to entire car JETseal109 (Red Pad) 3.5
8. Apply 5050 Concours Paste Wax to entire car (Red Pad By Hand)
9. Quick Detail any spots as necessary

Quarterly Detail
1. Wash Car
2. Apply 50/50 Concours Paste Wax to entire car
3. Quick Detail any spots as necessary

A bit overboard perhaps.. probably won't be doing it to my Mazda 3 in that much detail, but still have all the compounds, the random orbital and pads so will make a scaled down version.. Just not enough time to do all of that twice a year. Literally takes a whole day.
Off topic, but what is it with BMW owners (like me) gravitating toward mazdas ? Co-incidence , or something more. Seems to be that 20 - 30 % of teh folks on this forum own / owned a bimmer .

·
Registered
269 Posts
Off topic, but what is it with BMW owners (like me) gravitating toward mazdas ? Co-incidence , or something more. Seems to be that 20 - 30 % of teh folks on this forum own / owned a bimmer .
I think its because the interior and ride quality of a Mazda feels very close to BMW. To me I feel like I am driving a 1 series with my Mazda 3.. maybe not as fast, but road manners are very similar and fit and finish inside is very close as well. Mazda did a great job tuning the suspension and making interior a class ahead of any other compact car out there. Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Chevy, VW.. none match the interior look and feel imo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its because the interior and ride quality of a Mazda feels very close to BMW. To me I feel like I am driving a 1 series with my Mazda 3.. maybe not as fast, but road manners are very similar and fit and finish inside is very close as well. Mazda did a great job tuning the suspension and making interior a class ahead of any other compact car out there. Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Chevy, VW.. none match the interior look and feel imo.
+1

·
Registered
287 Posts
I ordered some 22PLE . Let's see what happens. Should be interesting, one way or another. I'll post my findings to this thread.
I've got 22PLE ready to go as soon as I get the car polished. I had Wolf's Hardbody on my last car and it looked amazing. I think 22PLE will look as good or better. I'm going to top it with Signature series carnauba wax. Lots of $$'s, but I'm looking for the most bang on my white car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got 22PLE ready to go as soon as I get the car polished. I had Wolf's Hardbody on my last car and it looked amazing. I think 22PLE will look as good or better. I'm going to top it with Signature series carnauba wax. Lots of $$'s, but I'm looking for the most bang on my white car.
With 2ple can you put wax on top of it? Also does anyone know or feel that you can use the VR1 for INSIDE plastics, like the dash and plastic trim pieces?

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can put wax on top if you want. My guess is that it might not adhere to 22PLE as well as it would to paint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do you remove this 22PLE and does it actually need to be removed periodically (before re-application or if you decide to apply something else)?

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only way I know of to remove any of these "coatings" is to use a buffer/polisher to mechanically remove it.
Depending on the product, these coatings form a permanent/semi permanent bond with the paint. I don't know if total removal is necessary when switching products. They all work best with clean paint.
Having said that, I had Opti Coat 2.0 on my previous car. When I switched to Wolf's Hard Body, I gave the car a light polish without removing all of the Opti Coat. Didn't seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks. If it's semipermanent - what happens if, after the coating has been applied, there is some mechanical damage to the paint that requires the damaged area to be repaired/repainted (for example, a deep scratch or a dent with chipped paint), how does it affect the coating? I guess you need to reapply it to the repainted area to match the rest of the car?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done.

1. Wash
2. Semi-Dry
3. Clay & WIpe
4. Wipedown with 3/4 cup of 50 % strength alcohol
5. Apply 22PLE and wipe off after 3 - 5 minutes. I think I used half a 30 ml bottle

The picture doesn't quite do justice to the finish. It's quite a sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts

You can see the sky like a mirror in that pic, i'd say it's still quite the sight! Hoping my Deep Blue Mica can look nearly as nice after a Clay Bar Wipe and 2 coats of liquid glass.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. Using a rinse free product (turtle wax : Turtle Wax - Rinse Free Wash & Wax ) to address the horrible water spotting that resulted from washing the car the conventional way.

It's been working VERY WELL so far. Much faster too.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Took advantage of the warm weather monday.

1.) Chemical guys Mr. Pink
(foam gun)
2.) 2 bucket wash with Mr. Pink
3.) Dry
4.) Megs Ultimate Detailer

Used some megs soap for the wheels and some megs tire shine. Hot Rims I believe.

Not a full detail, but it cleaned the salt off.

Come spring I have big plans for my swirls:

DA polisher
Megs M105
Megs M205
Megs M21 sealant
Collinite 845

So excited!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Done.

1. Wash
2. Semi-Dry
3. Clay & WIpe
4. Wipedown with 3/4 cup of 50 % strength alcohol
5. Apply 22PLE and wipe off after 3 - 5 minutes. I think I used half a 30 ml bottle

I ordered the 22PLE upon seeing your photo. Did you use their plastic or metal sealant as well? If so I would be interested in you comments on them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts