2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I update the Gracenote Database? 2014 M3s with tech. running ver 33. Flash drive fresh FAT 32 format with windows 7. The system does not find the update file (mu-EU-092914.up).

I was able to update the database perviously, but when I loaded ver 33, the update dropped the Gracenote database down. Was never able to update since ver 33. Can someone help me out?

What does the Gracenote database do anyway?

Dan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why can't I update the Gracenote Database? 2014 M3s with tech. running ver 33. Flash drive fresh FAT 32 format with windows 7. The system does not find the update file (mu-EU-092914.up).

I was able to update the database perviously, but when I loaded ver 33, the update dropped the Gracenote database down. Was never able to update since ver 33. Can someone help me out?

What does the Gracenote database do anyway?

Dan
If I'm reading your info correctly, you're in Minnesota and you're trying to install a UK file. The correct file can be found at Mazdahandsfree.com

From my understanding, gracenote helps with voice recognition of artists. I also found that in certain situations, they would alter the tags, such as giving a different album name, even though it's different from the tag itself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In addition to making sure you have the right file for your region, you could check for hidden files on the disk and delete them.

I was having issues after loading it from a Mac, and it was because Finder was creating hidden metadata files that had a similar filename to the update file. The car was seeing that first, and obviously didn't recognize it as valid.

·
Registered
574 Posts
In addition to making sure you have the right file for your region, you could check for hidden files on the disk and delete them.

I was having issues after loading it from a Mac, and it was because Finder was creating hidden metadata files that had a similar filename to the update file. The car was seeing that first, and obviously didn't recognize it as valid.
^^^ about the same issue here. I had used a thumb drive to load Windows 7 on a computer, so it was already fat32. I'm not sure if the Infotainment system didn't like a hidden file or the fact that it was a bootable drive, or both. I tried a quick format, but no dice. Ran a full format and it worked beautifully.

And yes, it looks like you're trying to load the EU version, not the NA version to your car, which may be all or half of your issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm reading your info correctly, you're in Minnesota and you're trying to install a UK file. The correct file can be found at Mazdahandsfree.com

From my understanding, gracenote helps with voice recognition of artists. I also found that in certain situations, they would alter the tags, such as giving a different album name, even though it's different from the tag itself.
Good catch on the UK file dragon66_61. So, I downloaded the correct file ( mu-NA-092914.up ), ran a full format under windows 7 using on my iMac using boot camp , moved the file to the newly formatted flash drive, tried to update the infotainment system and, NO JOY!

This is the screen that I get. It looks like the search for the file was never executed.

Tried to update the file multiple times with no result. What is going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good catch on the UK file dragon66_61. So, I downloaded the correct file ( mu-NA-092914.up ), ran a full format under windows 7 using on my iMac using boot camp , moved the file to the newly formatted flash drive, tried to update the infotainment system and, NO JOY!

This is the screen that I get. It looks like the search for the file was never executed.

Tried to update the file multiple times with no result. What is going on?
I'm thinking it's got to be an issue with the formatting. I don't have a Mac so I'm not too sure the proper way to format, but the file itself is fine, so long as you got it from Mazdahandsfree.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I thought that you were on to something with the hidden files, so, I removed them, tried again, but still no luck.

This afternoon, I had a friend reformat the flash drive on his PC and download the file to the flash drive on his PC. SUCCESS! :thumbup 1:

It seems that our infotainment system is Windowscentric. Dosent seem seem to like a unix format done on a Mac system, even though it is FAT 32.

Thank you nathand & dragon66_61 for steering me in the right direction.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought that you were on to something with the hidden files, so, I removed them, tried again, but still no luck.

This afternoon, I had a friend reformat the flash drive on his PC and download the file to the flash drive on his PC. SUCCESS! :thumbup 1:

It seems that our infotainment system is Windowscentric. Dosent seem seem to like a unix format done on a Mac system, even though it is FAT 32.

Thank you nathand & dragon66_61 for steering me in the right direction.
Strange. I was just saying what worked for me using only Mac OS. Glad you got it figured out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts