2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the '17 GT with the light-colored parchment leather interior, so keeping it clean will take some work, especially since I have a puppy that often rides shotgun with me.

Does anyone know for certain whether the updated trim pieces on the '17 console are real or fake leather? And what about the door armrests, seat side bolsters, etc.?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An unused bedsheet will do wonders for the dog riding shotty, can't comment on the interior material though.

I've got a seat towel. But his favorite place to put his front paws is on the console where a sheet/towel is impractical.

Really just want to know about materials, but thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the 2016 hatch GT. ASAIK, only the Grand Touring trim has real leather. The side-most seat trim is still pleather/vinyl but those are areas you won't be in contact with anyway. Everything else besides the steering wheel, shift knob, and door elbow rest (not the padded panel, seen reviewers say it's leather) is not leather, including the shift knob wrap, middle armrest. I haven't seen mention or reason for the 2017 model to have more leather.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I know in my 2011 GT the seat is all leather except the very outside (still use mequiars gold class leather wipes on the entire seat as it works with that kind of vinyl too) the soft door trim is false leather(vinyl and can be treated with regular plastic trim treatment such as the meguiars natural shine wipes) the center console soft part is the same fake stuff as the door trim, so natural shine wipes or leather wipes will work. this is good on the seats and fake leather stuff: http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g10900-gold-classtrade-rich-leather-wipes/#V7JvSIIyKDOwA6zE.97

this is good on the plastic door trim and fake leather stuff as well as the rubbery dash:http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g4100-meguiars-natural-shine-wipes/#qyDCQX0SiOSiIg00.97

and this is good when the leather seats need a deep clean every few months: http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17914-meguiars-gold-classtrade-rich-leather-cleaner/#kRGLtC3JrbibcxJu.97

all these should be available at your local parts store or walmart for good price and meguiars makes some of the best if not the best car care stuff out there. Been a fan since before I could drive, that's all that touches my car well that and eagle 1 car wash soap as it is thick and foamy and cleans as good as the 2x expensive meguiars one does. (if meguiars one is on sale I get it though) I use their interior care and exterior car stuff from polish to wax and everything else and its been great to me. if you want more shine on your plastics go with the supreme shine wipes or spray bottle (yellow and black) but its very very shiny so I don't prefer it. the natural shine (red and black wipes and spray bottle) I linked you to above are what I use as they give a whats a good word for grown up level of shine to your car, it looks upkept and clean not flashy and trashy because its overly shiny. if you don't want any shine get the interior detailer wipes or spray (purple and black bottles) and it barely leaves any noticeable anything behind but it still protects just like the others. good thing with the meguiars stuff unlike armorall is its not greasy and doesn't just come off on your hands after you apply it and touch it 5 minutes later while driving. also armorall has silicone in their interior stuff and that's not good for plastic or vinyl, so avoid it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. Glad to know that the seating-matched door panels (armrest and pull portions, especially) and the seating-matched center console materials are not real leather. Those would be a real PITA to keep clean. My sales person had said they were real leather, but I'm happy (and relieved) to know that's not the case.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Meguiar's is a very high quality leather/interior vinyl treatment (both in cleaner and conditioner form). However, I have found another product that leaves a far better/richer smell, as if you are in the most exclusive upper-end leather shop in the world. That product is Zaino, either Z-9 as a cleaner when dirtly, or Z-10 as a conditioner/treatment.

While seeming to cost more, because you use so little and it covers so well, it last for years for a $11.95 container. And every time I get into one of my two cars with leather seats and more, the leather smell is beyond terrific. I still have about 1/3 of a container left after over 1 1/2 years of use. BTW, because I do not let my seats get really dirty, I have, and only need, Z-10.

Zaino Store : Z-10 Leather in a Bottle

Above is not just a purchasing link, but also an info link with user reviews.

·
Working Class Hero
3,569 Posts
2016 S GT hatch. Seating surfaces are real leather. US car.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts