2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, First time, sortof longtime (since I bought my car a few months ago)

Had a really strange problem today, car will go into the shop this week, but was looking for ideas/opinions first.

The particulars:
2013 Hatchback automatic, push button start
purchased about 3 months ago used with 8300. Has around 11,800 now.

I was driving the interstate around 60mph in moderate traffic. I was an hour into my trip and without warning and absolutely no check engine lights, etc the car quit providing power to the wheels almost like I had shifted into N. Pressing the gas spiked the RPM's but nothing else. I checked the shifter just to make sure I didn't go into N, and even moved it over to sport shift mode. When I did this, the "D" that normally changes to a "m1,2...6" to show gear only showed the "m" with no gear number.

I made it to the shoulder and put the transmission into park. I then decided to put it back into drive. To my surprise, I had power to the wheels again and opted to get back onto the freeway to reach the next exit (freeway had slowed to a crawl at this point). However, the car only was in 1st or 2nd gear as I could not go faster than 20 without over-revving the engine, the car wouldn't shift.

I found a parking lot to pull into and parked. Reverse worked at the point also. I shut off the car and then decided to restart. This cleared whatever was happening as the car ran normally. I was even able to drive home (1+ hours) at freeway speeds as if nothing had happened.

Any ideas? Ever heard of this happening before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the ECM out the car in a limp mode. This could be a an indication that the electronic system is working properly and recognized a mechanicals fault. The other possibility is an ECM failure or faulty fuse rtc. Both cases take it took te dealership it's under warranty.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Search please. This is the most common problem in auto cars and there's a couple pretty well detailed threads about it. I'd link you but I'm on my phone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts