2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home tonight from work and when i got home i noticed a weird ticking noise coming fron the engine bay seems situated on the top right side of the engine looking in from the front, i took a audio recording, and i nnoticed a strange smell coming from the exhaust that i could smell in my car anyone had any issues like this in the gen 3 or 4 mazda 3's
I got the 2.5L g25 evolve

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
I was driving home tonight from work and when i got home i noticed a weird ticking noise coming fron the engine bay seems situated on the top right side of the engine looking in from the front, i took a audio recording, and i nnoticed a strange smell coming from the exhaust that i could smell in my car anyone had any issues like this in the gen 3 or 4 mazda 3's
I got the 2.5L g25 evolve
All the Skyactiv motors tick like that. Its the fuel system, the injectors are pretty noisy. The smell is normal too. There is some sort of coating on the exhaust to prevent corrosion while the car is in transit from the factory to the dealer and probably all sorts of oils and contaminants from production in there on the engine also. Lots of reports from new 3rd gen owners about this. Mine did it, it went away after a while.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the weird smell as well, I remember my BMW was coated in Cosmoline for it's boat ride from Germany to New Jersey. I'm guessing the smell is Cosmoline or whatever Japanese manufactures use for corrosion protection burning off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All the Skyactiv motors tick like that. Its the fuel system, the injectors are pretty noisy. The smell is normal too. There is some sort of coating on the exhaust to prevent corrosion while the car is in transit from the factory to the dealer and probably all sorts of oils and contaminants from production in there on the engine also. Lots of reports from new 3rd gen owners about this. Mine did it, it went away after a while.
I'm glad you confirmed the injectors as the clicking source. I'd noticed it for the first time with the hood up and the engine running the other day.

I can also confirm the smell from the coating applied before shipping. Smelled it as soon as they drove it up to the front of the dealership for delivery. My car had just hit the SoCal port a few days prior. Took about a month to fade out. In fact, I'm just now noticing the new car smell. :cheesy:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Although I never noticed the smell, my salesman warned me when we picked up the car that we might notice it and it would go away quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts