2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Mazda 3i Sport (FWD obviously)
80k-ish miles

I’ve had a noise coming from my front passenger side tire area since I had my tire replaced in November. It’s gotten increasingly louder. I’ve taken it to the shop where I bought all my tires (all except the new one are a little over a year old) and I was told it’s nothing. That if it’s a wheel bearing I’ll just know when it goes. Which freaks me out.
Tonight I went to the gym and my tire (same tire location, after a rotation, so not the same tire), sounded like the thump thump thump of a flat. It’s not a flat.
Anyone have any insight? I don’t wanna die on my commute or have my wheel fall off even on the way to the shop to get it looked at. Do tire shops check wheel bearings? Steel belts?

Because it seems like they would be able to tell me if that’s what it is.

Any input is helpful. Thanks y’all.

·
Super Moderator
812 Posts
Are all the lug nuts tight? Believe it or not, I have seen a few shops leave the wheel loose only to fall off later.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are all the lug nuts tight? Believe it or not, I have seen a few shops leave the wheel loose only to fall off later.
I second this. We had work done on my son's Mazda3 a while ago and had a difficult time figuring out the new clunking sound he was hearing. It turned out to be loose lug nuts!

·
Registered
146 Posts
did you do any work on your struts or shocks? and around 80k is when some mazdas have struts or shock issues and possibly endlink issues too.
I had to replace my front endlinks at around 75k (although I did lower my car with koni yellows and road magnet springs) around 70k
try different mechanics for free inspection and see if they know their stuff, maybe your current mechanic or shop is just not experienced enough?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Could be a badly made tyre starting to delaminate - the top is lifting away from the cases and air is forming a bubble under the surface.

If you jack up the car and rotate the wheel is the surface that contacts the road perfectly round and smooth-no bulges ?

Wheel bearings usually get very noisy (like a rumble) for a while before they fail.

·
Registered
146 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.